10

San wasn't sure how long they ran for, but he didn't complain. He could feel the distress coming from his alpha and wished there was something he could do about it.

All of this was his fault as well.
He was the one that had taken Jongho to his old house to get his mind off things. And he hadn't been so subtle with his desire to be with the alpha.

Now look at where that got them.

But he was glad they were together. His feelings for Jongho ran deeper than they probably should with how little he knew the alpha. And he knew he would do everything he could to make this mistake up to Jongho.

Once night started to fall, Jongho slowed the pace and they both worked together to find a place to stay.
The area around their back was a dangerous area. There were a lot of predators that roamed the woods and two wolves on their own stood little chance if they were attacked by a larger pack of wild wolves or even a bear.

San found a small clearing for them to stay in that back up to a large rolling river. The runoff was high this time of year so the river would be impossible to cross.

Jongho huffed and trotted off while San stayed behind and shifted. He dressed quickly and started working on building a fire. It would be useful to keep them warm as well as to keep the wild animals at bay.

Everything had to be done by hand... They were given no supplies or tools, so once the fire was started by furiously rubbing two sticks together, he worked on finding some rocks that he could start to shape into tools.

He could sense Jongho's distress as he tried to hunt for them, but he kept silent out of respect.

After almost an hour, the alpha came back to the clearing with a couple of rabbits dangling from his jaw. He shifted and handed them to San before dressing and sitting next to him.
San worked to start skinning them, but his eyes would flash to Jongho. He was so lost right now. He didn't know what to do, and it was killing him.

The Jongho sighed and covered his face. "I'm sorry." His voice was muffled as he spoke.

"I'm sorry too, for how you were treated... But I'm not sorry about us." He said truthfully.

He felt his alpha's eyes on him so he met his gaze. "Why?"

"Because I know you are a good alpha. I saw the way you interacted with Kennedy. You are capable of love and leadership, but you've been forced to keep it shoved inside you because of your father's treatment."

Jongho just snorted. "I don't even fucking care about that anymore. If he doesn't want me as a son that's fine. I didn't want to be forced to mate with anyone anyway. I'm never going to be my brother..."

"No you're not." San set the rabbit in his hand down and moved to kneel in front of the alpha. "But I think you still compare yourself to him. You're not Mingi. And you never will be. You need to decide what kind of alpha you're going to be. And now is your chance to do it your way."

The younger's mouth opened a little as he studied San and soaked in his words. Then he lifted a hand and cupped the beta's cheek. "You're really ok with this? With the predicament we are in now?"

"You're my alpha now. I'll follow you anywhere." San said, flashing a shy smile as his while purred in agreement.

He shivered as Jongho ran his fingers over the mark on his neck. "And I'll do my best to protect you. I promise. But I'm not a good alpha... So if you ever want to leave, I won't stop you."

San started to speak, but then they both looked to the right as several branches snapped. They were upwind so they couldn't tell what it was, but Jongho placed San behind him and started to growl in warning.