• VII

One month

One month.

All it took was a month of silence from the King to drive Timothée and his men into a state of constant anxiety. After the successful battle and overthrow of Islegold, there has been no word from the other side. No threats, no army marching towards them. Just the revolutionists and the winter winds.

In just a month, the weather had turned from sunny to ice flurries. The cold was bitter and bit at open skin like hungry wolves. Ice formed on the outside stone walls, creating intricate designs and patterns that Dahlia would often find tracing with her fingers. The cold never fully bothered her. It was refreshing. All you could hear were the sounds of howling wind and the blacksmiths in the large courtyard.

Islegold was large enough to hold all of Timothée's people. Not all of them could fit in the stronghold and some had to camp outside in the field. Dahlia goes and checks on them every day, making sure that winter is kind to them. They don't mind that it's cold, as long as they are inside the walls they feel safe. Recently, people have been on edge. Any day the King's army could march on them. It didn't help that over the month they got an increase of supporters.

After the battle, Timothée lost 200 men, which left him with only 800 fighting troops. In just the short month, people travelled from around the country to join them at Islegold. They now have 3,000 fighting troops and 400 women and children. It was a rather large number. Great and all, but with winter coming in fast, food is of top priority. The room in Islegold was also shrinking, and many have to camp outside the walls.

Dahlia and Timothée were moved from the tent into two separate rooms. It was more appropriate, considering Dahlia was a highborn lady. Though their rooms were separate, they still found time to talk to each other. Their rooms shared the same balcony and late at night they'd sit and watch the stars. It was a time in their day where they didn't discuss war tactics or food stores. In council meetings, Dahlia and Timothée would be serious, but on their balcony, they could say whatever comes to mind. They would talk their evening away. Some nights, Dahlia would fall asleep and Timothée would have to carry her into her room.

It was in moments like these that Timothée realized his true feelings. There was something there between them, he couldn't deny. He also couldn't deny the fact that they were at war. Their lives are in danger every day. Timothée felt sick when he thought of Dahlia being in danger. She was too sweet, too precious. Yet, there was something that lay behind her eyes that was lit by fire. He was tempted with the thoughts of acting on his feelings. He was brave enough to fight, yet he cowered at the chance to state his true feelings.

He often thought about their favourite book, The Fleeting Swan. The knight was too scared to admit his feelings for the princess and in the end, lost her. It saddened Timothée. They were on opposite ends of the social system. Too far apart. He stood on a landing, facing the courtyard full of people and all he could look at was Dahlia. His advisors were droning on about tedious things and Timothée's mind wandered. He could still feel his hand clasped around hers the day they took Islegold. It was a calming feeling, sitting in front of the fire with her. He stared at her distant figure and smiled softly. From one end of the lookout, he could see Adrian approach Dahlia.