• XII

The sound of resonating booms filled the chilly night

The sound of resonating booms filled the chilly night. Timothée stood on a hill, watching as multiple trebuchets launched fireballs towards the ageing stones of the large castle. He stared as his men would roll large boulders to the weaponry and wrap it with foliage and set alight.

The night was long and the sun started to rise on the horizon. Dahlia walked around the camps, searching for Timothée before eventually spotting him on a hill. She approached him and could tell by his stature that he was exhausted and agitated.

"You should rest," Dahlia tells him while wrapping her arms around his waist from behind. She didn't know if she should be this close with him. They know that there are feelings there, but they never had the time to address them.

"I'll rest when this kingdom is free." His response was blunt as he laid his hands on Dahlia's.

"This kingdom will still be here tomorrow, Timothée. Please, for the sake of everyone, get some sleep." Dahlia reasoned. He turned around to face her, their arms still encircling one another.

"I have been fighting for this opportunity for years. I'm here, at the castle, finally showing the power of united people. How can I rest now when we're so close to winning?" His stress was beyond anything Dahlia has seen from him.

"You can wait a little while longer." Dahlia's tone was final and she used one of her hands to cup his cheek. "Come." She left his hold and grabbed his hand before starting down a dirt path through the camp. She led him to his tent.

"I'll be back in five and you better be in bed by then. I'm going to check up on Nicholas." Timothée nodded at her words and proceeded to get ready while she left the tent. He decided that it's best to listen to her rather than his hyperactive mind.

When Dahlia walked back in, she saw Timothee grab a new undershirt that was folded on the edge of his bed. She saw that he was shirtless and turned away with a wild blush on her face. Timothée didn't seem to notice and if he did, he didn't say anything. He walked to his separate room and got in bed.

Dahlia was in her room, tossing and turning in bed. The loud noise from the siege weapons and men shouting in the distance sounded closer than they were. It kept her awake as a pit of anxiety started to form in her stomach. She stared at the canvas above her, wishing she was back at Islegold. Dahlia sat up and lifted the covers off of her.

She walked out of her space and into the main section of the tent. Her eyes cast to the empty goblets placed on the large table surrounded by parchment and maps. A sigh escaped her parted lips. Each minute passing was a step closer to winning and she didn't want to lose.

Dahlia's feet moved for her and she found herself outside of Timothée's room. Her hand stopped just before moving the curtain to the side.

What are you doing? Her mind was racing. Go back to bed. She took a step forward and pushed the curtain to the side. Her eyes looked at Timothée. He was laying in bed, his back to her. She blushed and looked down at the ground.