• X

(Warning: Brief mentions of gore.)

Fear of the unknown was a surge of power that could turn even the strongest of soul's foul

Fear of the unknown was a surge of power that could turn even the strongest of soul's foul. It could twist and bend someone to become somebody they're not. An empty shell of a human. Dahlia wondered what that would be like. To let the fear control her. Maybe she'd turn out like her power-hungry father.

Dahlia was out in the open in a large outside arena. Common people sat in the seats surrounding them in a circle. She was on a rather uncomfortable chair and had the presence of two guards standing on both of her sides. Her father was to her right, drinking away while they all waited.

For what, well, Dahlia couldn't even tell. The suspicion that struck her when a guard brought out a chopping block raised higher. Nicholas was a few feet away from her and each time she tried calling out to him, one of her guards would slap her. She wanted to see Nicholas, to check if he was alright. Dahlia was still recovering from the punishment she received last night. The bruises that covered her arms, legs, and torso ached.

She couldn't help but wonder who the chopping block was for. Her mind immediately went to Timothée but was relieved when she saw him dragged into the arena and placed beside Nicholas. They knew they couldn't speak, or they'd be punished. Timothée searched the area frantically and settled down once he saw Dahlia. His heartbeat quickened. When he saw the bruises sticking out from her dress sleeves, it took all the power in him not to force his way out of the chains to get to her.

Dahlia was relieved to know that Timothée wasn't going to be executed. However, in the distance, two more guards started to drag someone in. The chatter of spectators rose. Dahlia squinted under the harsh sun. She lifted her frail hand above her head to block out the glare. Once her eyes settle, she let out a shaky breath.

A weak and beaten Adrian was dragged past the block and brought in front of the king. The guards kicked him down onto his knees. Dahlia could see her father lean forward, gripping his goblet tightly.

"I suppose you know why you're here?" King Edward sneered. Adrian stayed silent and kept his eyes on the ground. "Not going to talk, eh?" Dahlia worried for her friend's safety and tapped the arm of her chair repeatedly.

"You've been an aid to this filthy rebellion. Collusions like this are treason and punishable by death." King Edward grovelled.

"Father, I-" Dahlia tried to interfere, but one of the guards slapped her. She could see Timothée try and move forward out of the corner of her eye, his jaw clenched with hostility.

"Learn to shut up, woman." Her father was always a grumpy drunk and never knew a day of sobriety. "You," He focused his attention back on Adrian, "On the terms of your treason, I, King Edward Myrila IV," There was a pause in his words, "Sentence you to die."

"No, father please!" Dahlia pleaded and tried to leave from her seat, but the guards surrounded her. She tugged against her restraints in a feeble attempt to get to her friend. She could stand, but the emotions running through her veins made her weak in the knees.

"Don't worry, little flower. I'll be alright." Adrian lifted his head and gave her a grim smile to calm Dahlia. She stifled a sob that threatened to rise as her eyes brimmed with tears. Nicholas was sobbing and Timothée was even broken down. There were tears threatening to spill for his friend, who felt like a brother to him.

"Any last words you'd like to say?" King Edward looked like he was having fun. This sadistic power he had set foot in his heart and showed nothing but malevolent intentions. Adrian faced her father, his face brave and strong. Even when on his knees, he didn't cower in front of the king. Adrian paused before jutting his head out and spitting at the feet of Edward. Dahlia held her breath. She could see her father's face turn red.

"How dare you?" It came out as a low growl. Edward leapt from his chair, throwing his cap to the ground. The clatter of the cup quieted the whispers from the stadium full of people. "How dare you!"

"You are no king!" Adrian shouts. He twists his torso around to look at the people around him, addressing them, "The only king I see fit for this country is Timothée Chalamet!" Soft murmurs broke out through the crowd. Dahlia could see her father march up to the executioner and rip the broad sword from his hand. Edward marched back to Adrian.

"Father, I beg you!" Dahlia was pleading. Timothée was fighting against the guards holding him down, but there was still a wave of shock across his face at his friend's words. Adrian just rallied behind Timothée and declared him a better king. Dahlia knew that the public would be in an uproar. Many might run to join their cause and others might turn against it.

King Edward raised the sword up high. The sun from above shone down on the shiny steel and it glowed like a beacon. In one final swoop, the sword came down on Adrian's neck. The sound itself would haunt Dahlia for life. The crowd went into an uproar, but not because of Adrian's execution. They shouted profanities at the king. Their words pierced like dangers.

The shouts were nothing compared to the hysterical cries of Nicholas. Little Nicholas who just witnessed the brutal display of unjustified killing. Timothée felt like he couldn't breathe. His lungs were closing in. His heart couldn't take it. Adrian, the man who's been with him since the beginning of the revolution, was dead. Killed by the very man they planned to take down.

The people rioting and yelling could be drowned out from the painful wails Dahlia let out. Tears fell on the dirt as she dropped to the ground. She gasped for oxygen but her body just couldn't take it. The trauma of witnessing it, the screams from others around and the cackling of her father forced her brain to shut down. Sending one last look to Timothée, Dahlia let the darkness take hold. In that darkness, the nightmares continued to rage on, driving her to the edge of insanity.

_______________

Before you come at me with your pitchforks, please just wait a moment.  I never like it when characters are killed off for no reason. Trust me, I always have a reason behind these kinds of things. Reasons I just can't tell you yet. I do hope you continue this story.

Besides, do you really think Timothée and Dahlia are going to let this go?