• XVI

"Adrian, little flower, be careful!" Dahlia called out from her spot on a blanket placed in a field outside the castle

"Adrian, little flower, be careful!" Dahlia called out from her spot on a blanket placed in a field outside the castle. The eight-year-old laughed in response and climbed further up the tree he was in.

"We'll be fine, love!" Timothée shouted back. He wasn't too far behind his son. Adrian, who just turned eight that week, shared an uncanny resemblance with his father. Bright and sparkling green eyes paired with dark curly hair and thin stature. Dahlia was surprised at the resemblance. It wasn't just that, but his personality was just like Timothée's too.

Dahlia let out an airy laugh at their childishness. She was relieved that Timothée and her could spend time with their family and away from the stress for a while. It was hard ruling their kingdom. She continued to rock the one-year-old in her arms, the babies soft coos filling the air around her. Nicole was their newest kid, named after Timothée's mother.

"Dahlia?" A voice called out from behind Dahlia. She turned in her sitting position to see Nicholas and a group of guards. Nicholas was now nineteen and just given the title of Lord.

"Shouldn't you be on your way to Islegold for your wedding?" Dahlia joked. Nicholas was going to marry a woman he met at one of the many lord's parties. Her name was Isabelle and he fell in love with her fast, and she fell for him too. Nicholas sat down beside her before speaking.

"I wanted to say goodbye before I go." He responded before tickling Nicole's chin. The baby let out happy noises in response.

"Uncle Nicholas!" Little Adrian called out as he jumped from the bottom branch of the tree. Timothée followed behind him. Adrian gave Nicholas a hug while Timothée patted his back and sat down next to his wife. Timothée reached out with one of his fingers towards Nicole. The baby gripped his finger with her small hand and stared up at him with wondrous eyes. He leaned down and kissed her forehead.

"Let's go build a fort together!" Adrian yelled while getting back up. He started running off towards the trees again. Timothée groaned before getting up and following after the lively kid. Nicholas made a move to go, but Dahlia used a free hand to grab his.

"Could I talk to you for a second?" Dahlia questioned.

"One." Nicholas joked before going to leave.

"I'm serious." She told him. He sat back down.

"I'm sorry, mom." Nicholas still occasionally called Dahlia his mother. She didn't mind, however, as she practically raised him after the fall of her father.

"I have some news that I'm telling Timothée tonight. I want you to know before you go." Dahlia adjusted her hold on Nicole.

"What is it?"

Dahlia didn't speak. She took her free hand and moved it to rest on her belly. She hoped that he would catch on.

"You-you're-" He fumbled on his words and looked around before resting his eyes back on her, "You're pregnant?"

"Yes." She whispered.

"Again?"

"That's typically how families work." Dahlia laughed. Nicholas hugged her.

"I'm happy for you." He said.

"I'm happy for you, too."

________________

The night sky drowned the earth in darkness. Candles littered the large bed chambers. Dahlia curled up in her covers, reading a book to pass the time. Timothée, who just got out of the bath, walked into the room with his undershirt and pants. His curly hair dripped water everywhere. He lazily walked over to his big desk and fiddled with some pieces of parchment.

"I had the nurse see me this morning," Dahlia announced, her voice breaking the silence. Timothée turned to her and quickly made it to her side of the bed. He sat on the edge while his hand went out to cup her cheek.

"Are you alright?" His worried eyes scanned her face for any signs of distress. Dahlia laughed and grabbed his hand. She lowered it from her face.

"I'm perfectly fine. Actually, more than fine." Dahlia smiled.

"What?" Timothée questioned.

"I'm pregnant." Her voice was lower than a whisper, but he could still hear it. A large smile graced Timothée's face. He leaned forward and started to kiss every inch of her face.

"You're getting water everywhere!" Dahlia giggled. Timothée was now on top of her and he pushed himself up.

"You mean this?" He responded before shaking his head and spraying water all over the pillows. He stopped and leaned in for a long kiss with Dahlia. When they pulled apart, she could see the tears in Timothée's eyes.

"I love you, my swan." The sincerity in his voice was present. 

"I love you too," Dahlia paused, "You doofus." Timothée laughed and shook his hair a bit more before plopping down beside her. His hand placed itself on her stomach and rubbed gentle circles.

"It's going to be a boy." He declared confidently.

"How you know that?"

"I have a feeling." Dahlia scoffed in a joking manner at his response.

"Honey, you thought Adrian was going to be a girl before he was born. Then, when I was pregnant with Nicole, you thought she was going to be a boy."

"I'm not wrong this time." He defended. Dahlia snorted and moved to lay down in bed, placing her book on the stand. Timothée wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. They closed their eyes in hopes to get some rest before one of their kids needs attention. Everything was quiet and peaceful at that moment. They held each other close and relished in the good news.

In a few months, they'd have another child. Timothée and Dahlia knew that when they're much older, Adrian will ascend the throne if he wished. They didn't want to force that on him. If he refused, the responsibility would fall to next in line, which is Nicole.

Timothée was proud of Dahlia and thankful that she has helped him all these years. He couldn't have done it without her. Dahlia was content. The first few years after killing her father, she had terrible nightmares. They ceased after she had Adrian. Her first child calmed her down and reminded her that she wouldn't be as terrible as her father. When Nicole came, she felt confident in her ability to raise them.

"Why did you decide to rob my carriage that day?" Dahlia whispered.

"What do you mean?" Timothée turned to face her.

"When we first met." There was a long pause before he spoke.

"I had information that it was transporting valuables. So, naturally, I wanted to rob the king." Timothée told her.

"Well, that was false information."

"Well, it did have someone valuable in it." He responded. His hand combed through her hair.

"Hmm," Dahlia hummed in content, "You are right."

"Get some rest," Timothée advised.

"Will you be here in the morning or do you have early duties?"

"For you, I'll always be here." Timothée leaned down and kissed Dahlia before settling beside her. They fell asleep together. The faint glow from the candles cast a soft light over their bodies as they slept in peace.

The kingdom of Myrila was restored to its former glory. The people were happy.

Most of all, Timothée and Dahlia were optimistic. Though the crowns they wore held a heavy weight, it was enough to bear between the two of them.