Chapter 1

"I can hear him trying to get past the door, the worried shouts of the people outside, scratching of claws against the wooden door, accompanied by the inhuman growls. Suddenly it feels as though everything has slowed down for a minute, the thumping beats of my heart, the fearful thoughts, when the sudden sounds of bones cracking ripples through the air, the beautifully carved wooden door, which separated me from this unimaginable reality creaks under the pressure of his punches. Everything falls apart in a single moment. Everything- the door, my last bit of courage, my sanity and... his true identity."

Maya's POV

Life was pretty much fine for a normal girl like me. I mean I graduated from a decent college with decent grades, currently working in an international firm, waiting for an opportunity to work abroad. My family was a typical south Indian middle-class family that held high moral and traditional values. Nevertheless, I was lucky enough to have broad minded parents who supported me through the ups and downs of my life and encouraged me to venture the outside world and to live a life with no regrets.

So here I am, waiting outside my manager's cabin, as he talks with the HR team. I tried to eavesdrop, but the soundproof windows are not helping me at this moment. I was nominated with nine others to work for three months in US with our project partner which also served as our training. Initially all of us were supposed to go, but due to some financial "issues", it was decided that only four people will be going for the program. I look at my watch, it was 11:15 am. Meaning the talk has been going for over forty minutes. Does it take that much time to discuss the names? I was beginning to feel dreadful 'what if I don't get selected? I am already 24, and in about two years I will probably get married and would have to settle down. Marriage, husband, kids then my kids' life. I won't be able to explore my professional life. This kind of opportunity might not come again. No Maya, let's not over think. Whatever happens, happens for a reason. Right?' 

A shrill voice snaps me out of my thoughts, "Maya! Relax! You are squeezing the life out of my hands!!"

"Oh! I am soo sorry Nisha, I didn't realize I was holding your hand. I started to over analyse and my thoughts went overboard, as usual." I seriously didn't even realize when my hand reached out to hers. My palms are sweaty and my hands are ice cold, which happens every time I am nervous. Thank God my legs haven't started the break dance, sorry, I meant shivering from all this tension.

"I can understand dear, it's alright. It's been two years that you started working your butt off. I'm sure you will be selected. Managers know everything happening in the office. Your efforts won't go unrecognised", Nisha says as if it is a fact.

She tucks a hair behind her ear, I can see how calm she is looking right now. Neatly combed cinnamon colour hair that elegantly falls on her shoulders. Slightly plump body with proper curves and her unblemished fair skin. She's a natural beauty, like God really took his good time with her, while in my case, I felt like God got bored when designing me and went 'meh!'. I feel a little inferior when comes to looks- my dusky complexion, slim frame with little to zero "attractive" features. The only special thing I can be proud of is my straight, healthy, long ebony black hair that comes a little above my hips.

At this moment Arun, one of my best friends in office jumps in the conversation, "I agree with Nisha, don't you worry Maya, we will go together and we'll work during the day and tour like mad tourists at night!! Cheer up girl! I don't like it when you are tensed. Those frowns will turn into permanent wrinkles. Then little kids will call you Maya granny instead of aunty", he winks and his mischievous smile brightens his slightly tanned face. His last comment makes me smile, as I try to smack his arm. He dodges it easily, being tall does have its advantages. Just as I was about to tell him off, the cabin door opens, my manager walking out with a list in his hand. 'Alright then, the list is finalised!'