Chapter Ten - A Much-Needed Spa Visit

"We need to talk."

Emerald gave Ava a surprised look. It wasn't often the younger woman sounded so serious, so she was inclined to listen closely. "Sure, what's on your mind?"

"Not here." She grabbed Emerald by the wrist and led the way to her own room, looking around as they went. "I don't want our 'roommates' overhearing us."

'Ah, so it has something to do with them,' the veteran thought. It made sense, especially considering the close shave they'd both just had with Andrew and Devon. Once they were both in Ava's room with the door firmly shut, she turned to the smaller woman. "What's on your mind?"

"We have a giant, otherworldly portal to another room in our apartment, and we haven't explored it?!" Ava stood with her hands on her hips, giving the taller woman a hard look.

It took Emerald a moment to collect her thoughts. "Well, I mean... I was here when they made it. And we've both been inside it - "

"But not past the little lobby thingy! There's so much more in there we haven't seen yet!"

She chuckled a little. "I guess this is how they felt when we took so long to take them outside to other places, huh?"

"That's not the point! This is our home we're talking about, and I'm getting a little sick of all the secrets around here!"

"Secrets?" She cocked one eyebrow. "Where is this coming from all of a sudden?"

Ava crossed her arms. "Let's just say that today has been rather enlightening."

Emerald sighed, closing her eyes as she rubbed her forehead. "Look, I'm sorry I freaked out earlier when your parents first showed up, and I'm sorry I couldn't come along on the 'date' thing and help you out more."

"Nono, it doesn't have anything to do with that. I just..." Ava thought for a moment. "Look, I know I could be doing more to help out around here. And I'm trying, I really am! It's just - "

"Hey, don't worry about that right now." Emerald enveloped the smaller woman in a hug, resting her chin on the top of her head. "Everything will be okay. This has just been a shi - crappy day on top of a very crappy week. If you think a little adventure will help, then I'm all for it."

"R-really?"

She pulled away, giving a small but genuine grin. "Just let me go get my bat first."

Ava nodded eagerly, reaching into her dresser and pulling out her giant novelty pencil. "Time for Ava and Em to take control."

* * * * *

Meanwhile, the Daemos were having a meeting of their own to discuss the events of the day. Rhys was closest to the prince, the other three forming a row behind him. The spectacled Daemos addressed Asch. "What do we do with this new information?"

The latter sighed tiredly. "What do you mean?"

"Well, we've now discovered Ava is a princess since her father is ruler of all humans." Rhys narrowed his eyes in thought. "I believe we now have a possible solution to us coming here."

"Court Ava," Pierce spoke up.

"Correct."

Leif was practically buzzing with excitement. "Okay, this idea opens up a whole new bottle of questions. First off, the kingdom of Daemos won't allow that. A Daemos courting a human - "

" - has never been done," Asch interrupted.

Rhys gave him a patient look. "I would argue that now is possibly the best time to pursue that."