Chapter Fifteen - Choices, Choices

* Contains some cussing. You all should know the drill by now. *

It was around 11 A.M. on a beautiful Sunday as Andrew and Devon sat at the diner, waiting for Emerald and Ava to arrive for the scheduled brunch. After the last hectic time they'd taken their daughter out, they wanted the chance to meet with her in a calmer, less distracting atmosphere. Inviting Emerald along was their peace offering, as well as a chance to show their appreciation for everything the veteran was doing.

"Well?" Andrew asked as Devon put down his phone on the table."They should be here soon. Ava sent me a text right before they left the apartment."

"Good! Oh right, uh, that reminds me... " Andrew's face grew serious. "... you aren't going to get nosy with them, are you?"

"What, me? No!" Devon laughed nervously, before taking a massive sip of his coffee.

"Devon... "

More nervous slurps. "Hmm?"

"You're trying to avoid answering."

"Wow, Andrew. A man can't drink his coffee without being attacked?"

"I asked you a simple question. You don't have to be over-dramatic about it."

"I swear, your politician side is showing a little too much."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize after all these years of marriage, you can't give me a straight answer!"

Devon sighed dramatically. "I don't think either of us could give a straight answer... "

"Oh, haha. Very funny." Andrew did not look impressed at the pun.

"It's a joke, Andrew!"

"I'm serious. Answer the question: are you going to be nosy about Ava's new friends?"

"No, I'm not."

"That means you are." He sighed in resignation. "Can you at least promise me you won't badger Emerald about it? She's had a lot on her plate the last few weeks, and Ava says she wasn't feeling well yesterday."

Devon gasped dramatically. "After all these years together, I think you would know me better!"

Before he could answer, Andrew saw Ava and Emerald enter the diner, the former waving to them as they approached. "Dad! Pop!"

"Ava! My baby! Did you bring any of your friends with you?!" Devon's eyes sparkled with barely-contained excitement.

"Told you," Emerald whispered to Ava under her breath, eliciting an eye roll from the shorter woman. She turned towards the counter. "Okay, well, I guess I'll sit over there. Just let me know when you're ready to go."

"Why don't you join us?" Andrew motioned to the empty spot next to Ava at the booth. "Let us pay for your meal: it's the least we can do for driving her over for us." Reluctantly, the veteran slid in next to Ava.

No sooner had the two women sat down, the questioning began.

"Speaking of which: what are you wearing, Ava?" Devon stared at his daughter's outfit, which consisted of long jeans, heavy jacket, and some fairly thick boots. Emerald was dressed in similar attire.

"I wanted her to be safe while we were on the motorcycle, so I made sure she wore the proper safety gear. Her helmet is out with mine so we didn't have to drag them inside and take up too much space." Emerald's eyes narrowed ever so slightly.

"Uh huh. And why were you two late?"

"Oh, that's my fault!" Ava was quick to intervene. "I was a bit nervous about riding on the motorcycle, so Em had to go slow. We both realized there is no way I'm ever going to ride one by myself." She laughed. "But it was a lot of fun."