Chapter Eleven - Exhaustion and Spell Pools Don't Mix

Leif phased his way around the main hall, slowly working his way towards the spell pool. He had been waiting for almost two hours now, but had yet to see the humans leave. If they were still in the Daemos space, then that could be considered trespassing... which meant they should be dealt with accordingly.

As he entered the spell pool room, Leif noticed Pierce as well as both humans were still there. Emerald was lying precariously on the ledge next to the pool, jeans folded into a make-shift pillow under her head. On the other hand, Ava was still in the water, her head leaning back against the stone. Pierce was sitting next to Emerald, hands resting on his knees and head bowed.

All of them appeared to be asleep.

The former assassin grinned as he took out his knives. 'This is almost too easy,' he thought as he phased over and brought his blades down on Ava's head...

... or at least, he would have, if Pierce's greatsword hadn't blocked his swing in one smooth motion. The large Daemos stared at him impassively, his left hand going to Emerald's forehead briefly as he whispered something under his breath.

"Still putting up a fight about this, I see," Leif sneered, giving a cocky grin.

"I'm following orders. We aren't to kill either of them until we learn more about humans."

"Oh come on, don't tell me you don't think about killing them too." He backed off as Pierce stood, wielding his greatsword in both hands. "How long are you gonna keep this up?"

"As long as I need," the Daemos general growled, glaring at him. "Especially when your intentions aren't clear."

"Please, my intentions are simple: I do what I feel like doing. Either I make Ava mine, or I kill her. Sometimes I can't pick between the two." He shrugged his shoulders. "Tonight I felt like killing her. Simple."

"And what of Emerald? Is her life beneath you to take?"

"Please, I would love the chance to fight her properly. Don't think I missed that little sleeping spell you put on her when you blocked my first strike." He grinned wickedly. "I think you made sure she stayed asleep so I wouldn't have an excuse to finally take her out."

"Are life and death that simple for you?!"

Leif laughed harshly. "Why are you asking such stupid questions?"

His only response was a glare.

"I said it before, and I'll say it again: Ee-urth has changed us, whether we want to admit it or not. I can't quite put my finger on why it happened."

Pierce's eyes went wide with sudden realization. He glanced down between Emerald and Ava, before looking back at the former assassin and putting his sword away. "Kill her."

His tone took Leif completely by surprise. "Huh?"

"I'm allowing you to do it." He nodded his head at Ava. "Go."

"Really?!"

"Yes."

Leif laughed maniacally, readying his knives again. "ALL RIGHT!" He phased to right in front of Ava, knife held high to deliver the killing blow... but the look on her face made him freeze. "Huh?"

As he was caught in indecision, a fireball came from his right side. It slammed into his chest, throwing him back against the north wall of the pool and barely missing the spouts feeding in more water.

"Why do you insist on defying my orders?!" Asch growled, staring him down. He had entered from the same doorway Leif had earlier and now stood at the side of the pool.