Where it all began

A/N

This fanfiction is my love letter to Doctor Who, the TV show I have loved since I was old enough to remember and it’s been a lifelong thing, though now I come to think of it there never seemed to be any life before the Doctor, it was always the Doctor! Though what other show can invade your dreams, inspire you so much, make you laugh then cry, transport you away into the fantastic and still thrill and scare the life out of you that you feel five years old all over again. And what other show can be so life affirming? Quite simply it inspired me to become a writer but also a better person.

 The Girl Who Grew Up In The TARDIS was firstly inspired by all my viewing years of Doctor Who, all the highs and lows of being a fan. (though other than the show being cancelled after 1989 there really hasn’t been any lows) I wasn’t there from the beginning like my mum who was the original fan girl but I was there from the early 80’s and it was devastating to see it taken away from the TV, depriving generations of children of having “their” Doctor. But this tribute to Doctor Who is very much inspired by my 22 month old daughter who loves the theme tune and the TARDIS and last year during the 50th anniversary year there were plenty of reruns of classic and new “Who” so I made it my mission to ensure my girl (who at the time was not yet one) saw a story for every Doctor, partly so I could say to her when she was older that you’ve seen all of them sweetie. But then one day after a conversation with my dad I was reminded of a vague idea which had been floating around in my head for a quite some time and then it just grew…Just supposing a baby found themselves on board the TARDIS and spent their whole life in a time machine, watching every version of the Doctor and waiting for their chance to be a companion? Well once I had that exciting idea, how could I resist? This tribute is unlike anything I have written before and nor am I likely to write anything like it again, so I hope all Wattpad Whovians will enjoy reading this as much as I did writing it.

Gemma x

 Thank You To JamieHutchinson for the beautiful cover.

For mum, the girl who grew up with all the Doctors.

For my daughter, our child of the TARDIS. Every single day you inspire me. This is all for you.

*********

 Saturday, 23rd November, 1963. That was the day I first saw the Doctor. I sometimes wonder what my life would have been if the TARDIS had not taken me in and raised me as her own. Though I know it’s impossible, I would not have survived that night, so I need not wonder any further. And then of course I would never have known the Doctor and witnessed all his lives. No human has seen so much and knows him like I do. Which is just as well as the TARDIS has told me that it is my fate to be alongside him, for one day it will be my turn to be the Doctor’s companion.