The Serpent Meets The Angel

A.J Crowley

It was the day of the signing and Crowley couldn't be more miserable. He had stayed up all night working on his manuscript for his newest novel, "Waltz of Angels", and was exhausted. Well that and the fact that he really didn't want to do this in the first place. He groaned when his alarm clock blared "Killer Queen " and rolled over to turn it off.

And landed ungracefully on his face in the process.

The author muttered a string of curses before slamming the off button on the damned clock. He huffed and picked himself up from the rumpled heap he had landed in and went to his bathroom to shower and take care of his morning business.

Then his phone rang.

"Ughhhhhh...." He growled as he answered it. "Yeah, what?"

"Morning to you too, Mister Sunshine." Anathema. Of bloody course it was Anathema.

"What do you want? You know better than to call me this early." He grumbled as he went about undressing to get in the shower

"Just reminding you that the signing is at 11. The shopkeep's name is Ezra Fell. I'll send you the address." She said slowly as though she were explaining something to a child. Or a particularly grumpy author. Which she was.

"Right. Got it. Anything else before I continue my morning?" He asked dryly, turning the water on and testing it to make sure it was the right temperature.

"Yeah. Remember; be nice. Ezra is a fan of yours and is a friend of mine. So be nice to him and the rest of your fans. Got it?"

He sighed dramatically. "Right. Nice. Got it. Bye, Ana."

"I mean it, Anthony. Be nice."

Click

Crowley hung up and climbed into the shower, letting the warm water wash over him. The signing was in less than 3 hours. Ananthema's words echoed in his mind. Be nice.

~~~
Ezra Fell

"Shut it! I'm a demon, I'm not nice! I'm never nice! Nice is a four letter word! I will not-" Crowley growled as he pinned Aziraphale to the wall of the former convent.

Ezra had gotten absorbed into the book again when he glanced at his watch. "Oh dear!" he exclaimed. Anthony Jaymes would be here in less than an hour! And he was nowhere near ready! He let out a squeal and buzzed around the shop, tidying up imaginary messes and fussing with his own appearance.

It was 10:15. Anthony Jaymes would be here in 45 minutes!

He ran to his tiny kitchenette and began brewing tea for everyone and setting up refreshments. Everything had to be perfect for the signing. He'd never forgive himself if it was anything less.

Another glance at the clock. 10:30.

Ezra bit his lip. He was 30 minutes from meeting him. People were starting to trickle in now. Soon the shop would be crowded! Why was time so bloody slow?! He decided to occupy himself by at least trying to be social with everyone until Anthony showed up.

~~~~
A.J Crowley

Crowley's Bentley pulled up to the bookshop at 11:00 sharp. He locked it and sauntered inside to be greeted by shouts and squeals of excitement. He swallowed hard, anxiety slowly building as he went over and took his seat. Anathema was right beside him.

"Hey, you ok?" She asked quietly, "You look nervous."

No shit, Sherlock. Crowley swallowed again. "N-No, I'm good. J-Just not used to this is all."

Unfortunately, he didn't have much time to elaborate as police and Ezra helped the crowd to form into a more orderly congregation. One by one, they came up to him. He'd sign their book, say something... Not horrible to them, pose awkwardly for a few pictures and then repeat.

It was 4:00 by the time everyone left. Crowley was mentally and physically exhausted. He started to pack up his things when the shopkeep approached him, looking shy and kind of... cute.

He was shorter than Crowley with fluffy looking blonde curls and the kindest blue eyes. He offered Crowley a mug of something. Coffee by the smell of it. He graciously accepted it with a mumble of "Thanks."

"Y-You're welcome." he blushed. "You look tired and I hate to ask this, but would you mind signing my book? I-I'm a huge fan."

Crowley raised a brow but gave him a tired smile. "'Course." Taking the book from him and scribbling his signature as well as a quick message. "What's your name?" he asked.

"Ezra. Ezra Fell." He replied shyly.

The redheaded author nodded in acknowledgement and handed the book back to him.

"Thanks for the, um, coffee and y'know everything today." He said as he finished off his coffee and stood. "I've got to be going."

"Oh! O-Of course." There was that blush again as he stepped aside to let Crowley leave.

"See you around, angel." He called as he left, leaving a very flustered Ezra behind.