Chapter 2

Juliet Bloom.

It was the kind of name that needed a children's choir "oohing" and "ahhing" every time it was said.

Like the girl herself, the name was almost too pretty to exist, but there she was.

Existing.

He hadn't seen her since the end of sophomore year and now she was here, all bathed in sunlight, which probably made her even more unreal.

He nudged Molly. "Did you set this up? If so, I take back everything I said about you in my head."

"No, I didn't. It's not like I organized the thing. I signed up because my mom handed me a flyer. I signed you up because your mom told me you were getting way too into Minecraft." Molly frowned. "I guess Juliet signed up because she's perfect and awesome or whatever."

"She really is," he sighed.

"I'll get us a refill."

"Yeah. Me, too," he said absently as she took his red cup and moved away.

He couldn't decide if it felt like a decade had passed or not even a day. Juliet was like this perfectly preserved memory - long, shiny black hair, eyes so big, she could have stepped out of a Disney movie, and a floaty, pastel sundress. There was something so simple about the way he felt for Juliet. She remained so blissfully uncomplicated in his mind. She was pretty and shiny and he, like every other man who'd ever seen her, wanted to touch that pretty, shiny thing. So far, he hadn't gotten close to even talking to her.

He wasn't sure how long he'd been staring, but he vaguely registered Molly saying his name and nudging him with his cup before he realized she was back.

He jumped slightly. "What? I wasn't looking."

She humphed and sipped her own. "You know, we are out of high school now. Gazing at your more popular ladylove is not as forbidden. Maybe you could even go talk to her."

"Like it's that easy."

"Sure, it is. Just walk up all like 'Hey, didn't we used to sit together in all my X-rated daydreams?' She'll love it."

"Thanks. You're the best," he droned.

"Sarcasm noted, but fine. I'll leave you to your living statue act."

"I will kill you," he said as she moved off with a snort. Still, he couldn't be too mad at Molly for busting on him. She'd made him do this glorified flea market in billion-degree weather in their crappy old cafeteria and it was suddenly the best idea ever.

Back in high school, Juliet had been two years ahead and unaware of his existence. But it was different now. They had to be closer to being even now. He was, at least, capable of facial hair these days. He had a shot and he had a whole summer to take it. He marched toward her.

It's not like he was going to go up to Juliet with Molly's line, but he was going to say something... any minute now.

It was just as well she wasn't looking up from untangling a cluster of necklaces, since he couldn't think of anything.

"Need some help?" Molly asked in the loudest possible stage whisper as she sailed by with another load of plushies.

Juliet looked up at that, blinking at him. "Sorry, what?"

"Nothing," he grunted awkwardly, since Molly had disappeared. "You looked like you need help."

Juliet huffed. "It's my stupid jewelry. Look!"

He wasn't sure what he could do about that. Her perfect and delicate fingers were better than his clumsy ones. "Oh, you... that... your jewelry?"

Yes. Words. Almost a sentence.