I.

CHAPTER ONE
[ the phone call ]

      The stage lights dimmed as the orchestra played it's final note

The stage lights dimmed as the orchestra played it's final note. It was the end of the show. The audience began to clap. I, along with the other cast members ran offstage as the music for the curtain call began to play.

We watched in the wings as the ensemble took their bow. "I can't believe we only have two more months of performing Sound of Music live on Broadway every night" my costar Aaron said as we waited for our turn.

"You think you'll be able to handle life without seeing me everyday?" I teased, which caused him to laugh. "I'll try my best" he said. "Mainly, I think you're just going to miss kissing me eight times a week."

"Oh, you wish." I laughed.

After the Von Trapp children bowed, Aaron ran out and did the same. Now, it was my turn. As I walked onstage, the audience rose to their feet, continuing to applaud. I took my bow and then, gestured for the rest of the cast to join me downstage. We all bowed together. Then, we gestured to the orchestra as well as, the light and sound board. Finally, we all took one last bow together and then, hurried offstage while waving goodbye to the audience.

As I was finishing up getting changed back into my street clothes, there was a knock on my dressing room door.

"Come in" I called. The door opened, and my agent, Kristen, walked in. "Hey Katelyn, great show tonight" she said. "I just wanted to let you know that a man has been repeatedly calling you for the past several hours. He says it's urgent."

"Alright, well I'll call them back tomorrow. It's late and I'm sure they're just saying that to be dramatic." I said, gathering my things.

"I'm not so sure. It sounded like it was very important. At least, the tone in his voice made it seem that way." Kristen mentioned. "Well, did he leave a name?" I asked.

"He did. I meant to write it down but he wouldn't stop taking about how you needed to call as soon as possible. Matt... maybe that I was his name." She answered. Although, it sounded more like a question. "But, something tells me he won't stop calling you. He seemed very persistent."

"It'll be fine." I assured her. "I've left the people at the stage door waiting long enough. As soon as I get home, I'll return his calls." Then, I made my way to the stage door.

The line at the stage door seemed forever long, as usual. I heard so many voices calling various different things. I pulled out my sharpie, beginning to sign playbills, take pictures, and answer questions.

"You're the woman who played Maria, right?" A girl towards the end of the line asked me. "That's me" I smiled as I signed her playbill. "You were my favorite character!" She exclaimed, which only caused my smile to grow.

I took a picture with her, but before I could walk away, she started asking me more questions. "How long have you done theatre?" She asked.

"Well, I've been doing it for several years. I didn't really take it serious until I was almost thirteen." I answered.