XIV.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
[ the goodbyes ]

     "Hey guys" Beverly spoke up as we walked through town on our way back to the inn

     "Hey guys" Beverly spoke up as we walked through town on our way back to the inn. We all stopped, turning to face her. "Look" She held up her hand where Bill had cut her palm with glass all those years ago. Her scar was gone.

Looking down at our own hands, we saw that ours were gone as well. "Nothing lasts forever" Mike states as we stood there in astonishment.

Looking into the glass window in front of us, we saw our reflection. Not of us today but, us twenty-seven years ago after we beat Pennywise the first time. It made me realize not only how much we've changed, but also how much we've lost.

"I can't go home like this guys" Eddie nervously spoke. "My mom will kill me."

The younger versions of ourselves were looking through the same window at our reflection. We were all filthy but, Eddie was the worst. His faced and shirt were covered with puke, which of course, was causing him to panic.

"Dude, you've been gone for twenty-four straight hours. Your face is definitely on a milk carton by now." Richie said, starting to worry Eddie. "Also, that puke smells worse than your mom's slippers."

"Shut up, Richie." Beverly says as we begin to walk. Eddie begins to defend himself. "First of all, my mom's slippers smell like potpourri, asshole."

"No, they don't." Stan states, knowing Eddie's probably making that up. "Yes the do! And besides, how would you know what they smell like in the first place?" Eddie questions.

Stanley knew Eddie was about to go on another one of his rants. "Can we just keep it quiet please?" He asks. "There's potpourri all over my bathroom." Eddie continues, ignoring Stan's request.

"Potpourri is literally a french word meaning rotten pot." Ben says, causing me to laugh and for Eddie to get even more defensive.

Back at the inn, I decided to take a quick shower. As the warm water hit my skin, more memories started to flood back into my mind.

Memories of playing in the yard with Bill and Georgie, going to the arcade with Richie, listening to New Kids on the Block with Ben, talking about places to go once we got out of Derry with Beverly, birdwatching with Stanley, the many trips to the drugstore with Eddie, and keeping Mike company as he delivered meat. Those are the memories I never wanted to forget.

After the dirt and grease were out my hair as well as off my body, I got out of the shower and put on some clean clothes. I don't think being clean had ever felt any better than at that very moment. Once I finished packing my things, I headed down the stairs, my bags in my hands, to see all the losers already saying their goodbyes.