Chapter 3

Luckily her and the knight had been provided horses so they wouldn't have to walk all the way to the nearest town— which according to the knight was Castle Town in Melromarc— where the queen normally resides when she's not out on diplomatic journeys.

Once the two of them got to the gates, Himari got off her horse and after being cleared to enter the town by the knight, she said her thanks and the two of them parted ways, the knight going back to the manor and Himari heading into the town. She had figured out that she could let go of the axe if she wanted to— so with that knowledge she had placed it in a small sheath hanging from the breastplate.

Before parting ways, the knight had told her to get some more gear. Apparently what she had received from the queen was more of a basic armor, and wouldn't do her well out in the battlefield— Himari had a feeling it was given to her so she would better blend in with everyone else— since it looked like people didn't wear faux-fur lined jackets or prestigious school uniforms in this world.

As she looked around, Himari noticed a lot of differences between this world and the one she was originally from. More specifically she noticed there were some people with animal-like features, as in they had cat ears and tails or wolf ears and tails. It was almost surreal— then again everything Himari was seeing felt surreal to her.

She walked through a market place, taking in all the sights and smells. People in stands were calling out to passerby's, trying to sell whatever was at the stall. At one stall, she noticed a woman wavering her hands over a small clutch of eggs, and what looked like a magic circle appeared above them. Not even a second later small butterfly-like birds of different colors flew up into the air and those watching applauded.

So this world has magic. Wonder if I'd be able to use any. Ah, Himari, you need to focus. She took a deep breath and focus on what she needed to do. First, she wanted to find some sort of armor. While she appreciated the gear the queen had given her, the defense stats it had were all basic, and would barely protect her from one of those ballon monsters. She looked along the shops, and soon found a place that had a sign of two swords crossing over each other in front of a shield.

"Well, this looks like a good start." She muttered, opening the door and looking in to see a dimly lit shop with all sorts of weapons and armors being shown off.

"Welcome to my shop!" Someone said as Himari stepped in, the door swinging to a close behind her. She looked up to see a scarred man with a shaved head and black beard. He was grinning, and despite his slightly intimidating appearance he seemed like a good man. "I don't think I've seen you before."

"Oh, you wouldn't of, I've never, uh, been to this town. My name's Himari. Pleasure."

"I'm Erhard. First time in a weapon's shop, is it?"

Himari nodded.

"Well, you really know how to pick the best one. I'm Erhard, good to meetcha, now, what can I do for ya?"

Himari bowed her head briefly in greeting, "Well, I need some equipment for an adventure, but the problem is I, uh, don't know where to start."

Erhard chuckled and walked out from behind the counter he was standing behind, "I can help you with everything you need. First, let's get you some better armor. This looks to be a basic set." He had placed what looked to be a magnifying glass at her armor, and there was a soft blue light appeared as he looked through it; it seemed like he was looking at the armor's stats. And just by hearing that Himari's suspicions were confirmed— she had just been given the clothes so she would blend in.

"So, any suggestions?" She asked, watching as he pulled away.

"Before we start negotiating, I'd like to know your budget."

"My... budget? I haven't thought of that." She got quiet, her mind starting to race. She assumed she'd have to get a room at an inn tonight, which to be safe she would keep 200 silver for that. She would need to eat as well, so 50 silver there, and she would want some extra to have with her just in case anything popped up. She still didn't really know the currency exchange in this world so she had a feeling she was overestimating the prices of some things. "I'd say my budget would be... 300 silver."

"Well, if that's your budget, I could make you something completely custom made."

"Really? You'd do that?"

Erhard grinned. "Of course! Just give me an idea of what you want and I'll make it."

Himari nodded, "Alright!" The next half hour Himari spent talking with Erhard on what she wanted, and after getting all the details down as well as a basic design, Himari handed him 150 silver, the two of them agreeing that she would pay half upfront and the other half upon completion.

"Your equipment should be ready by tomorrow, so come back then!" Erhard said.

"Thanks a bunch! I'll see you tomorrow then!" Himari said with a smile and headed out of the shop, seeing that the sun had started to set.

"I'd better find somewhere to spend the night." She muttered to herself as she started to walk along the market place which wasn't as crowded as it was earlier in the day. As she looked for an inn, she felt her stomach start to rumble. "Before that... I should find somewhere I can get some food."

I didn't take long before Himari found a pub. She stepped inside and grabbed a seat, looking around at everyone else who was around her. There were a few men who looked to be adventures, decked out in expensive looking armor and seeming to be celebrating something. Maybe she could ask them how someone would start out as an adventurer.

"Miss? You need some more time?" Someone asked and Himari looked over to see a man standing at her table.

"Oh, uh, no! I'll just have your cheapest meal, please. Thanks."

The waiter nodded and walked off, leaving Himari to sit alone, listening to everything the people around her were saying.

"I heard the king summoned all the heroes today." Himari perked up, glancing towards the same table that held the adventures from before. "They're in the castle right now."

The heroes? So, the people the queen was talking about were summoned today. She turned and looked out the window, staring at the castle. I wonder what the others are like.