SUSPICIOUS

Six Years Earlier

The day after the jewelry heist interference, I went to work at the coffee shop like always. It was a couple of blocks away from the jewelry store, so I saw the busy work of the police and nosey passerby's as I exited the train station. Part of me wanted to get a closer look, to see what happened to the other thieves after I left and what story the police were running with. There weren't any vines left behind, though I'm sure there were a few leaves that they chalked up to fall wind travel. And even if they didn't, I couldn't imagine how they would connect it back to me.

I was about an hour into my shift when he walked in.

All brooding, dark eyed, finely pressed navy blue police uniform sans the hat I always saw them wear. He had dark circles under his eyes like he'd had a long night and his hair just framed them enough to make it a little less noticeable. He seemed distracted as he stood in line, his brow a hard line like he was trying to figure something out that made no sense.

I didn't know what had him so stumped, but I felt a sudden need to.

"What can I get for you today?" I asked him politely as he approached the register.

He barely acknowledged me as he answered. "Large coffee. Black."

"Like your soul?" I said it with the full intent of it being taken as a joke. I cracked a wide smile and everything.

It didn't lessen the dark look he gave me. "Excuse me?"

"It was a joke; a lame one really. You said you wanted it black, so... nevermind," I sighed, annoyed at having to explain myself. I mean, really, who hadn't heard that stupid joke before? "Do you want any sugar or anything?"

"No."

"Ooookay then, happy," I replied sarcastically, ringing him up. "That'll be $4.50. Can I get a name for your order is that regarded as official police business and on a need to know basis only?"

"Dick."

"Excuse me?" I responded, taking immediate offense. To be fair, as far as I was concerned, I was pretty much only a few months old and had never met anyone with that name before.

"You asked for— just put Grayson," he said in exasperation.

The faraway look he'd had before was gone and suddenly he was very much attuned to me. I could practically feel his gaze down to my core, like he was trying to see into my soul. I started a new pot for his coffee and looked around everywhere but at him. It must've bothered him for some reason because he suddenly made an effort to say more to me. "Busy morning here, Madalyn?"

My eyes darted back to him in a second. "How did you know my name?"

"I'm finishing training to be a Detective," he shrugged before breaking into a smile. "Plus, you know, you're wearing a name tag."

"Right," I laughed stupidly at myself, shaking my head as I looked down to the magnetic name plate on my shirt. "Obviously. Ignore me." I started grabbing a cup and sleeve for his drink just to keep my hands busy. "So, junior detective, what brings you around here? I've never seen you work this area before."

"Attempted robbery last night at Starlight Jewelers," he answered simply. "Just canvassing the area, see if anyone heard or saw anything. How about you?"

"Not to state the obvious, but uh, I work here," I answered with a smirk. I leaned closer to him over the counter and pitched my voice low like I was divulging some secret. He shook his head with a half smile, the amusement on his face clearly one of kindness for my sake. "I'm actually in the middle of making your coffee."