TRUST

When I started coming to, I groaned loud enough to make me flinch. The sound was partially due to the soreness of my body after being blown around so much and majority because of the familiar feel of the tension wire encasing my arms.

"Seriously Grayson?" I complained without opening my eyes. "This again? You know I hate being restrained."

"Pretty sure the vast majority of the world does," a voice answered. I opened my eyes and sighed to find the new Robin instead of the one I was hoping for.

He was sitting in a backwards chair a few feet away from me, leaning on the back of it with his chin on crossed arms. He was still in full Robin gear and it looked out of place in the clean cut, high class set up of the apartment around us.

Nearly the entire wall behind him was lined with floor to ceiling windows, thin shades pulled down to keep prying eyes away. From experience, I knew that it didn't matter either way; if we were in a Batman safe house then we were probably in the penthouse so far up that no one could see inside anyway.

"What are you doing here? I thought you left me for dead?" I asked, shifting uncomfortably in my own seat. As I spoke, I realized that I didn't feel the constant brush of my mask on my skin which meant my physical identity was on full display.

That was unfortunate.

"I left you; I didn't think you'd be stupid enough to stay there to die," he answered. "Clearly I underestimated the strength of your death wish."

"Where's Grayson?" I demanded, tired of going unanswered.

"Who?" he deadpanned.

I pushed the words through my gritted teeth. "You're not nearly as stupid as you're pretending to be. Where is Dick Grayson? I'm Madalyn, an old friend."

I thought he was going to continue to play dumb but instead he lifted his head and straightened his back.

"Must not have been a good friend then, because I've never heard of you."

"I'm sorry, does he make a habit of sharing all of his friends names with you?"

"The ones that matter," he smirked, clearly trying to get a rise out of me.

I wasn't about to give him the satisfaction.

With a wide smile of my own, I said "Yeah? And what about his special sexy time friends? He tell you about those too?"

The boy's blue eyes widened behind his mask as his jaw dropped. "You've gotta be fucking with me," he said in disbelief. "You slept with Dick too? Jesus, talk about underestimating someone. He's clearly got more game than I gave him credit for."

I rolled my eyes. "Now that you know I actually know him, do you mind telling me who the hell you are?"

"I'm Dick's replacement," he said with a shit eating grin. "The newer, better Robin. Jason Todd."

"That first part seems a bit subjective, but ok then. Since we're acquainted now, can you let me out of this thing? And point me to Dick's room, I think it's time we have a little chat."

"Dick's not here," Jason replied flatly, eyebrows raised.

"When will he be back?"

"He won't; he's not here at all. It's just me."

I shook my head at his words, sure that he was lying.

I know the promise Dick and I made, but was he really going to avoid dealing with me so long as we were this close already?