LET LOOSE

The club Jason ended up leading us to was walking distance from the tower. The line was short but occupied by clearly under-aged teenagers and a few sketchy characters watching the bouncer barely take a look at IDs before waving them each inside.

I immediately knew why Jason dubbed it the perfect spot. Given the sigh Dick let out beside me, I knew he'd guessed as much too.

I kept my eyes forward as we moved up in the line, trying my hardest not to focus on his heat beside me. After we all had changed and rejoined just outside the tower elevator, it took everything in me not to lock myself away in my room.

Dick had chosen a knit sweater that I'd always loved on him for its perfect fit on his form. The torso was just loose enough to billow slightly while the arms cut just right along the muscles. He knew how much I hated that sweater because I could almost never keep my hands off him while he was in it.

Which I'd gathered had been his plan when a small smile twitched at his lips at my initial, tense reaction.

"You can still leave, you know," I said to him as we moved up again. "You haven't gone in with us yet, which means technically you haven't gone against Bruce's wishes yet—"

"You say that like I don't live for that sort of thing," he answered and I could hear the smile in his voice. I pressed my lips together in a failed attempt to hide my own. "Besides, I can't keep my promise to you if I'm not around, now can I?"

This time I looked at him openly, no hidden smiles. "No, I guess you can't."

We lost Jason almost as soon as we stepped foot into the club. The thumping music was loud enough that he didn't hear us call out to him as he zipped through the crowd ahead of us. I chuckled to myself, unconcerned, but I just barely heard Dick swear at the younger boy.

"Jason can take care of himself," I yelled at him. "This is about having fun, remember?"

Dick looked at me and sighed. "You're right," he called back. "So what do you want to do first?"

"Let's hit the bar." Without much thought for it, I grabbed hold of Dick's wrist and began pulling him through the crowd. On a platform just slightly higher than the dance floor I spotted the bar and bee-lined straight for it. Two spots opened up on the counter corner just as we got there and I squeezed us in, immediately letting go of him.

The bartender was making his sweep when he spotted us. "What can I get you?"

"Two of your cheapest beer bottles, please," I answered. He nodded before taking off. He returned within a minute, popping both bottles open before putting them on the counter before us. "Thanks." Dick moved to pick up his bottle but I swiped it from in front of him before he could. "Oh, I'm sorry, did you want something too? You really should've let him know..."

Dick rolled his eyes, swiping my bottle from my loose grip and taking a swig. I pretended to be appalled, but couldn't hold it long enough.

We both ended up downing our bottles in silence, Dick ordering two more. I was taking a sip from the new bottled when I noticed Dick just staring blankly at it, eyebrows furrowed.

"You okay there, Grayson?"

His head turned to me before his eyes did. "Yeah," he said distantly and I immediately glared at the lie. He huffed out a breath at my reaction before correcting himself. "I was just thinking about the last time we did something like this together."

"What, drink?" I asked, my throat suddenly raw with emotion. Dick shook his head. "Went to a club?"

"For fun, yeah," he answered with a small smile. "Not for a mission or anything but with the actual intent of enjoying ourselves."