Prologue

Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.
Psalms 31:24
...

NERISSA PEEPED INTO her uncle's office where he was hard at work. She and Bea had played there at noon and she had left her favourite book when her mum called. Now, with Bea not in the house, she wanted to read, but her book was in her uncle's office.

Remembering her mother's advice to be polite, she knocked on his door. "Uncle Gale, please can I take my book back? I left it in here while Bea and I played before lunch."

Her uncle looked around the table and found her book. He held it out to her. "I wish that Bea would read like you do," he sighed.

"Don't worry uncle, she's getting there soon," Nerissa replied. She glanced at the papers on the desk. "What are you doing uncle?"

"I'm doing my job, sweetheart," he replied.

Nerissa looked at him with curiosity, "What's a job?"

"A job is something that you do when you grow up. You would've dreamed of doing it when you were young and when you grow up, you can do it," Uncle said, as he pulled Nerissa into his lap, "What do you wanna be when you grow up, Nerissa?"

"Me? I wanna be a friendly and compassionate person!" Nerissa exclaimed.

Uncle chuckled, "Nerissa, that is not a job."

"Oh? Then, I want to be a reader!" She exclaimed again, "and read a lot of books!"

"That's not a job either," he said. Nerissa gave him a disappointed pout.

"A job is not a hobby, honey. It's work you get paid for. Like, I'm a businessman and your dad is an engineer. It's like that. Not something you wanna do for fun," Uncle explained. Just then, Bea walked into the room with three toffees in her hand.

"Hey honey," uncle greeted her, "How'd your shopping trip go?"

"Great daddy!" Bea shouted, "Mommy even brought me some toffees because I behaved properly!"

"Good girl. Now, Bea, what do you wanna be when you grow up?" Uncle asked his daughter.

"A businesswoman, like you, Daddy," Bea replied, climbing onto her dad's lap with Nerissa.

"Good, good," uncle said to Bea and turned to Nerissa, "Now, do you understand what I mean, dear?"

Nerissa nodded in understanding. Just as she was about to answer, her mum, Remi knocked on the door and asked, "I'm sorry, are these two disturbing you?"

"No, they weren't, we were just talking about what they wanted to be when they grew up, didn't we, dears?" He said, as the two children got down from his lap and ran towards Nerissa's mum.

"Oh, but they're only five, brother. I think they have their whole lives ahead of them to decide," she replied to him.

"Well, it can't hurt to know," Uncle said as he got back to his work.

Nerissa walked towards the balcony where the stars were shining brightly in the night sky. "What are you doing, love?" Her mum asked her.

She turned back to face her mum with a smile on her face and exclaimed, "Mummy, I know what I want to become when I grow old!!"

"Yes, dear?" Her mum questioned.

"Yes! I'm going to become a space scientist and find out how the great granny and Aunt Laura became those stars!" She said, excitedly.

Her mum pulled her into her arms and hugged her tightly. She said, "Of course dear. You will be whatever God has meant for you to be. He will see you through that, I'm sure. You were born to shine, you know that right?"

"Yes mummy," Nerissa nodded. Her mum kissed her forehead. "Now, come on sweetheart. Let's get you dinner."

...

Author's note:

Hi everyone!

Thank you for choosing to read my book! It means a lot to me that you're here! So here's a virtual hug to my dear readers! *sends virtual hug*

P.S This is purely a work of fiction. The names of characters, places, and courses are all made up. Though this story is based in England, the school/university in the story doesn't work the way schools/universities in England do. It is all made up.

A fact: According to our ancient superstitions, the people who've passed on are believed to become the stars in the sky and watch over us. That's the reason why Nerissa was told that her great-granny and aunt became stars.

If you've read till the end of this boring author's note, then you deserve a round of applause. Once again, thank you for reading.

Please drop your honest views in the comments. It helps me improve my writing on the whole.

Stay blessed,
Grace.