2 | Place In This World

This is a request. If you haven't listened to Michael W Smith's Place in This World, please do. I feel like most of them would relate to this song.

The YouTube video above is my most favorite performance of Place In This World. The reason???
Watch and you'll know. And if you have time, listen to the entire song. I know you'd like it.

...

The wind is moving,
But I am standing still.
A life of pages waiting to be filled.
A heart that's hopeful,
A head that's full of dreams.
But this is becoming harder than it seems.
Feels like I'm, looking for a reason,
Roaming through the night to find
My place in this world.
-Place in this World,
Michael W Smith
...

"MUM, I'M HOME!" I announce as I shut the door and walk into our living room.

My mum pokes her head from the kitchen. "Hulo chweetii! How whadda jam?" She asks, her mouth full of something she's been cooking. A delicious smell wafts over from the kitchen as someone else other than my mum is still working the blender in there. Huh. My sister would be the only other person home and she never steps foot into the kitchen, just like me. I absolutely loathe cooking.

"Mum, I'm not gonna understand what you said when you're speaking with your mouth full," I point out. She swallows whatever was in her mouth and mumbles to herself, "Mmmmm... this is delicious." Seriously, leave it to my mum to cook and eat whatever she wanted and then praise it herself. Not that I'm complaining. Mum's cooking always rocked.

"I asked about your exam. How was it?" She asks me. The rattling of spoons or whatever vessel the person is using, is still going on in the kitchen.

"Seriously, Mum? What is it with parents and their inquiry about exams? Your daughter just came back home after finishing with her memorable 14 years of schooling, not knowing whether she should cry that she's leaving school or be excited that she's gonna go to college and all you're asking about is the exam? Where's your humanity?" I ask, sighing dramatically. Mum asks me this question when I finished each exam and every time, I replied with the same answer. It was now like a joke between us.

"Oh, Grace. I was only asking because we care about you," she says, tilting her head towards the kitchen.

"We?" I enquire. Just then, my aunt Lily comes out of the kitchen, holding a plate in her hands. "Hey, sweetie. Want a bite?" She holds out the plate to me.

"Mummy!" I squeal, tackling her with a huge hug, it's a surprise she managed to not drop the plate.

My mum shakes her head. "Whose daughter are you? Mine or hers? Your mother is standing right here and you ran to your aunt. Where's my love?" She says, feigning hurt.

"You don't get it since you asked me about the exam first. Mummy offered me food instead. Do you know how hungry I am, Mum?" I demand, rubbing my tummy to make it seem true. When, in honesty, I was nowhere near hungry.

My mum just rolls her eyes and I reach out to hug her. We've always behaved as best friends, rather than mother and daughter. I cherished our relationship and she did too. It was one of the best things in my life.

"The exam, by God's grace, was great Mum," I say, pulling out of her embrace, "I just really wish they would consider this score than the one of the entrance exam."

"Didn't you hear?" Aunt Lily asks, taking a bite of the food and swallowing it, "The Centre of Education of England announced that the entrance score will not be the only criteria for college admissions. It seems like the state exam scores will also be taken into consideration, just like last year."