11 | Beautiful Day

NATHAN 
------------------------------

Room number 37. My room for the next four years of my life. However, knowing myself, I knew I would spend more time in the cafeteria anyway. I wonder whether the food here is any good.

The door is locked. Which means, I'm the first one in here. I get inside the room and plop down on the first bed in sight. Oh well, looks like I get to claim this one. If the other guy wanted this, he should've been here earlier. Placing my guitar on the side of the wardrobe, I look out the window to find the most scenic view I've ever seen before. Out the window is a hill, and in the midst of it, a single tree stands. Beyond that is what I would call the unknown. Literally, the unknown - because I don't know what's there. But the tree standing alone in a hill is enough to intrigue me. Why was that the only tree in the hill?

I guess I must have been too mesmerised by the tree in the mountain, since I do not hear the door open. What I do hear is this: "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't see you there." Like what? Why was this person apologising? On turning around, I come face to face with a guy my height, with black hair and a linen shirt. This must be my roommate. He sees me and something dawns on his face. Recognition? Did I know this guy from before? 

"Did you complete whatever you paused on Netflix?" He smirks. What was the deal with this guy? 

"Um... what?"

"You don't remember me?" His brows pull up in amusement.

"No. Why don't you tell me which part of my memory you are from?"

He extends his left hand. "Rayden, mate. You met me the day you came to pick up your girlfriend from the Education Council at Paddington. Do you remember me now?"

"Girlfriend? I don't have a- Wait, you mean Rissa? She's my cousin, not my girlfriend. Whatever made you think that way?" I roll my eyes. This guy is delusional if he thinks Rissa and I were a couple. Especially Rissa. Sure, she fantasised about meeting her very own Prince Charming one day, but she also was the girl who believed God would bring her to the right person at the right time. She was the girl who didn't want to date, since she wanted whatever relationship she was going to get into to last. To be honest, I don't see her in a relationship anytime in the near future.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I just assumed that-" He looks bewildered

"Never mind. People tend to jump to conclusions anyway. I'm Nathan."

"Rayden." 

I raise my brows. "You already said that." Before he could reply, my phone rings from my jean pocket. "Excuse me a minute," I tell Rayden, glancing at the phone to see the name flashing on the screen. Joy. "Hello-"

"You need to call your mum. Like, now." Joy's cool voice comes across the phone.

"What?" 

"Aunt Lily's a bit inconsolable. I mean, she's probably calmed down now, but you need to call her. Asap." She orders

"Okay, okay. I'll give her a call. Or are you still at home?" Balancing the phone on my shoulder, I get ready to unpack my stuff when I notice that Rayden's facing the window, probably looking at the same tree on the hill. 

"Nah, I'm at the studio. I left after a while. Honestly, it's Nia who's been holding the fort there. She pulled out her guitar the moment you guys left and started singing some Italian song. I didn't even know she knew Italian," Joy says. I imagine her throwing her hands up now, dropping her paintbrush.