SEVEN

I walked through the courtyard, heading out towards the Godswood with young Venus trotting happily by my side. The wolf pup had grown rather quickly, and never really left my side.

As I passed through the archway, I took a deep breath, smiling as the smell of the pond mixed with pine filled my senses. The smell brought a sense of calm over me as I walked over and sat on the small boulder I always saw my father sitting at.

I looked down at my own reflection for a while before my eyes trailed up to the red leaves growing on the large Weirwood tree.

"Gods, if you are there," I said softly. "I could really use your guidance." I paused, looking down at the small pup laying by my feet before at my hands that were fidgeting in my lap. "My father is leaving to King's Landing with my sisters and Brandon. I wish to go with him, but I don't want to leave the rest of my family behind."

I sighed, looking up from my hands and looking across the pond at the trees beyond, just lost in my thoughts. "It's not like they need me here." I chuckled lightly before my face went blank again. "But they're still my family. Besides, my mother is staying here, and I know she won't be happy at another one of her children leaving her."

"But there's another reason I'd be going down there. Being the Gods, I'm sure you already know by now." I said as I looked up at the red leaves again. "The princess Mrycella; she's different. She's so...gentle and serene. I can't help but feel that she has been keeping me sane since she's arrived. Like she's the one keeping me grounded." I took a breath before speaking again. "I'm not sure she feels the same way though; it has only been a day. But she's the reason I'd go South."

"I can't seem to decide what is right, though. That's why, dear Gods, I've come seeking your guidance. Which do I follow; my mind or my heart?"

I waited in silence for a while, waiting for something, anything, to happen as to give me a sign. After still not getting anything for a few minutes, I sighed. "Thank you for listening, anyways."

Just as I stood up to leave, however, I heard soft footsteps near the entrance to the Godswood. I quickly spun around, but saw nothing. Nothing except a retreating figure, her golden hair clear in the morning sun.

I smirk lightly and looked up at the red leaves again. "Thank you, Gods." I whispered before, too, leaving the area.

As soon as I left, my mother rushed up to me, her eyes filled with worry. "Have you seen your brother?"

"Rickon?" I questioned. "I just saw him in-"

"No. Brandon. I haven't seen him since breakfast."

I thought about it for a moment and, come to think of it, I hadn't seen him since then, either. I shook my head before quickly taking off in search of my little brother.

"Bran!" I hollered as I rushed through the various courtyards. "Brandon!"

The longer I searched, the more I worried about my brother. Something felt...off. Something was wrong.

As I rounded the corner of the broken tower, what I saw caused my heart to drop. My brother was laying, unconscious and curled up, on the ground. Rushing over, I scooped the boy up into my arms and started running back to the main yard.

"Maester!" I shouted as I ran into the open. Everyone in the courtyard turned to face who was causing such a ruckus, only for their eyes to go wide at what they saw. "Someone fetch the maester! Quickly! Get the maester!"