THIRTY NINE

"This cannot be true." My brother said bitterly as he glared at the table before him, his nostrils flaring slightly.

"We've had ravens from White Harbor, Barrowton and the Dreadfort." Roose Bolton said from her sm he stood across the table from his king. "I'm afraid it is."

I scoffed slightly, shaking my head as I tossed the scroll on the table. "I never trusted that fucking man."

"Why?" Robb asked suddenly, the genuine confusion clear on his face. "Why would Theon-"

The older lord cut him off. "Because the Greyjoys are treasonous whores."

"And that cunt of a ward has a stick shoved right up his prissy little arse." I muttered, my words not going acknowledged by anyone, especially my mother.

"My brothers?" The King in the North asked.

"We've heard nothing of them." The man paused. "But Rodrik Cassel is dead."

My heart clenched at that. The man had been there through our entire childhood, and had helped every single one of my father's sons with out swordsmanship and archery. He was a good man. An honorable man.

And Theon fucking Greyjoy cut his head off for defending his home.

Roose's words seemed to snap something in my mother as she lept angrily from her seat. "I told you; never trust a Greyjoy!"

"I must got north at once." My brother spoke in a soft tone, gaining everyone's attention.

"You can't, Robb." I said, causing the older boy to look at me. "There's still a war to win. The soldiers need their king here."

"How can I call myself king if I can't hold my own castle? How can I ask men to follow me if I can't-"

"You are a king." Lord Bolton spoke before I could. "And that means you don't have to do everything yourself."

My mother nodded in agreement with his words and turned to look at her oldest child. "Let me go and talk to Theon."

"There will be no talking." Robb said in his bitter tone. "He will die for this."

"Let me go, Robb." I said, causing all eyes to turn to me, but I kept my on my older brother.

"You cant-"

"I've hated Theon since we were boys. You and I both know that I would take great pleasure in doing this." I reminded him. "So, let me."

"Lachlan..."

"I know what your going to say, but you can't leave. You are leading a war; your people need you here."

"And maybe I need you here." My older brother practically hollered, causing the tent to go silent and my angered look to slip away.

"Theon holds the castle with a skeleton crew." Roose interrupted our brotherly disagreement with his words, gaining out attention. "Let me send word to my bastard at the Dreadfort. He can raise a few hundred men and retake Winterfell before the new moon. We have the Lannisters on the run. If you march all the way back north now, you'll lose what you gained." He paused. "My boy would be honored to bring you Prince Theon's head."

My older brother seemed to be pondering his banner man's words before he let out a long sigh and rose from his seat, his stance screaming authority.

"Tell your son Bran and Rickon's safety is paramount." Robb stated sternly, the anger clear in his tone. "And Theon, I want him brought to me alive. I want to look him in the eye and ask him why. And then I'll take his head myself."

With those words, it seems the decision was made. Theon Greyjoy would die for this. He would die for his traitorous crimes.