TWENTY ONE

In truth, I never went back to the tournament. Instead, I headed down to Flea Bottom, going straight to the markets. Seeing as I was dressed in some simple leather looking clothing, no one really paid much attention to me.

I found myself standing in front of a small blacksmith's shop, admiring some metalwork they had displayed at the front. As I was looking, an older man came up to me from inside, his face slightly blackened by soot.

"Anything I can help you with?" He asked, wiping the sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand.

I debated for a moment before nodding slowly. "I was just wondering if you knew any good places to buy a ring?" I asked, my brows furrowed slightly.

"Oh, well you can try Barker's." He said as he stepped out, pointing further down the way. "He's get the best ones around these parts."

I nodded at the man once more. "Thank you, sir." Reaching in my pocket, I dug out a few coins and held them out to him. "For the help."

He shook his head at first but, seeing the look I was giving him, he held out his hand and allowed me to drop the coins in them. "Thank you."

Biding my farewells to the kind man, I weaves my way to the shop the blacksmith has pointed out. Soon enough, as soon as I approached the stall, I was pleased to see many beautiful rings.

"Ah, good day, sir." The shop keep said with a smile, walking up to me. "Looking for anything specific?"

I thought about it for a moment, gazing down at all the rings. "Something simple." I decided on. "Nothing flashy."

He nodded, looking down at the selection. "Right. Well, we have some nice gems over this way-"

"Not a gem, either." I said, not liking the idea.

The man sighed softly before nodding. "Alright..." He trialed off for a moment before peeking up slightly, walking to the back of the shop before returning a moment later with something in his hand. "I believe this would suit your needs, sir."

When the shop keep handed me the ring, a smile instantly came to my face. It was a simple, lattice gold band with a small pearl in the middle.

"How much?" I asked, looking up from the ring at the man a few feet in front of me.

He thought for a moment before deciding on a price. "Three copper stars."

I nodded and pulled out five, handing them to the man, whose eyes widened. He was about to object when I beat him to it. "You need it more than me. Take it."

After he did so, I tucked the ring away and walked out, thanking the man again, not able to help the rapid beating of my heart.