clingy 2

hey guys! sorry for the long wait, i severely suffer from this thing called procrastination.

myles erlick was perfectly fine without briar, thank you very much.

he found himself wondering why he'd ever needed her in the first place. he was completely capable of doing everything by himself, for himself. he didn't need her constantly checking up on him and drowning him in affection, like engulfing him in hugs. no, he was just fine. actually, scratch that. he was more than fine. he was great.

the bed was empty when he woke up the morning after briar stormed out, and maybe, myles decided that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. he raised his brows, shuffling into the middle of the double bed and spreading his arms as far as they would reach. myles was surprised to find he could stretch his fingertips and toes to the adjacent corners comfortably without pulling a limb.

odd. the bed felt smaller when she wasn't in it.

still in a state on semi-consciousness, myles relaxed his limbs, enjoying the space briar's absence brought. yeah, he could get used to this. and so, he drifted back into a peaceful slumber, grateful for the fact that briar wasn't ushering him out of bed. without her in the picture, he could sleep for as long as he liked. that too, didn't seem like a particularly bad thing. he could stay here all day.

and maybe he would. who knew where his newfound freedom would take him?

the next few days for myles were, to put it simply, pure bliss.

he made chicken nuggets and chips for dinner, something briar had never cooked for him whilst she was around. not that she particularly had anything against chicken nuggets, in fact she had grown quite partial to them, it was only that briar always insisted on homemade food. she declared that it was generally healthier and tasted better which myles had to admit, he couldn't deny.

however, he'd occasionally try to sneak chicken nuggets into normal meals, cutting them into strips and laying them on top of salad leaves or snipping them into little chunks and tossing them into his pasta. briar would always laugh when she came home to find that myles had cooked her a new, ingenious chicken nugget/actual food combination. she would tell him that he would die of poultry one day, and he'd always reply with, "well there are worse ways to go."

myles smiled fondly at the memory, absent-mindedly leaning on the counter as he recalled briar giggling at that one time he'd tried to put chicken nuggets on top of scrambled eggs. admittedly, that meal was prepared mainly in the hopes of making her smile rather than creating a new culinary masterpiece, but she had eaten it up all the same, a massive grin on her face. myles remembered telling her how pretty she had looked when she laughed at him, as well as the way she licked her lips bashfully and looked down at her crumby plate, mumbling a softly spoken, "thanks."

he also remembered the time when-

ping!

the timer struck him out of his daze.

myles sighed, slipping on a pair of oven gloves and yanking open the door. the familiar smell of the nuggets wafted past his nostrils, and he inhaled deeply, wondering what briar would've said if she was there right now. probably something along the lines of, "you'll die of poultry one day."

"there are worse ways to go." he mumbled to himself, not even realising he'd said the words until they were out in the open and the only response he received was silence. myles shut the oven door with a slam, trying to snap himself out of this weird mindset he was in. his grip remained on the handle for just a second longer as he stared into space, mind racing.