Chapter Twelve: New Friends

"I knew I saw you in the window," Eliza hissed as Aquila landed on the roof of the Eckelson mansion, their feet touching down on the coppery ridge line of the tallest wing. It was magically surreal, to be this high up, standing on her own two feet and feeling like she could touch the sky. And really, hadn't she just been doing that. She'd just been flying, soaring through the night like a dream. But this wasn't a dream. This was real and exciting and oh so wonderful.

Eliza felt like a helium balloon was inflating in her chest.

"Careful," Aquila said, releasing Moose but keeping one arm around Eliza's waist.

"I was a gymnast for twelve years," Eliza said. "I think I can keep myself from toppling off."

But she didn't push his hand away.

In front of them, Moose was fumbling with one of the huge windows.

"We have to be careful," Aquila said into the silence as they waited, his deep voice making Eliza feel heady and raw. "Ian can't see you."

"You mean Mr. Eckelson?"

"Yeah, he's kind of our... dad." Again, Aquila's cupid's bow lips curled in that bashful smile. Eliza's cheeks went red-hot and she averted her gaze.

"Lucky you," she said, hoping he couldn't see the flush in the moonlight. Averting her eyes, she watched Moose's wild hair dance in the breeze, scanned the delicate filigree that hung like icicles where gutters should be. "I can't imagine living in a place like this."

"You wouldn't like it so much if you weren't allowed to leave."

"You left tonight."

"Yeah, under cover of darkness and without permission."

There was a note of bitterness in Aquila's voice. But before Eliza could think of a joke to lighten the mood, the window popped open.

"Welcome," Moose said with a gesture too fast to be seen. "To our humble abode."

Glancing back at Aquila, Eliza stepped past Moose and onto the window ledge. Inside, she found herself looking at a dusty attic filled with covered furniture and cobwebs. There were old-fashioned trunks and shimmering surfaces that might have been tarnished silver; wooden boxes labeled with tidy writing; a whole wall of bookshelves. It was, in Eliza's mind, the organized detritus of a sophisticated life. She set her feet carefully on creaking planks, part of her waiting for a ghost to appear, scanning the shadows for more surprises. In the nearest corner was a stack of paintings, the one on top of an elegant woman with graying hair and the kindest smile Eliza had ever seen. She stared at it as she moved aside so that the other two could climb in after her, Aquila ducking low to leave room for his massive wings. Little clouds of dust rose around their feet, tickling Eliza's nose. 

"Not exactly five-star," Eliza said with a smirk as Moose darted to the far door.

"What were you expecting for us creatures of the night?" Aquila said, but Moose was already beckoning through another doorway and into a completely different world.

Eliza fought the urge to gasp.

Walking through the Eckelson Mansion was like walking back in time. The walls were cream-colored and plastered with art. Portraits. Landscapes. Fruit. Wrought iron sconces flickered in even intervals. Gilded trim made everything seem at once soft and bright. It was all the kinds of things that she'd seen in museums but never in someone's house. Eliza drifted through all the splendor like a sleepwalker, wondering when she was going to wake up.

"This is..."

"Boring, right?" Moose said, appearing at her shoulder as if he'd been there the whole time. "The real fun is downstairs. Come on, we'll take the elevator. I'll bet Ian's having his midnight cookie in the kitchen."

"You have an elevator?"

Neither brother answered, Moose because he was already bounding forward, Aquila because he looked too embarrassed.

"This is insane," Eliza said as she took in the beautiful fresco on the hallway ceiling, swirling like a real Italian sky.

"Do you mean us? Or the house?"

Eliza exhaled a laugh.

"Will it offend you if I say both?"

"I'd be worried if you didn't."

"You guys are so slow," Moose complained from in front of them, standing in the frame of an old-fashioned elevator.

"So are we going down to your secret lair or something?" Eliza asked, half-joking. But Aquila only smiled.

"Something like that," he said, stepping aside to let her enter first. She did, drinking in the detail of the clanking door and the velvet carpet of the elevator walls. Aquila had to curl his wings in tight to fit into the cramped space.

The ride was awkward. Moose was bouncing beside her like a kid before Christmas, but Eliza could feel Aquila's tension. And Eliza didn't have the wherewithal to soothe him. Because the whole night had veered so dramatically off the tracks that she had no idea what to expect. The only thing she could do was keep putting one foot in front of the other. Because she didn't want to go home. She felt like she'd just fallen into Wonderland. The Vagabonds, whatever they might be, were the most exciting thing that had happened to Eliza in a long time and she wasn't about to walk away from the ludicrous, wonderful strangeness of it all.

So she tightened her shoulders, tried to catch Aquila's eye. But he wasn't looking at her. He was staring at the tips of his boots, strangely timid for his huge size.

Eliza vowed that whatever happened, she wasn't going to let him down.

"Here!" Moose said, leaping around his brother to get the door.

She heard the squeak of ancient hinges. Felt cold air rush in to fill the elevator. But she couldn't see beyond Aquila's bulk. He was avoiding her gaze, frozen in the middle of the elevator, wincing as the machinery clacked and sputtered to a stop.

Finally, as if feeling her eyes on him, he looked up.

"Ready for the freak-show?" he said in a would-be joking voice.

Eliza smiled, summoning all the confidence she could muster.

"You bet."

And then she stepped around him, more than ready for whatever came next.