Hurt

It was time for us to go and we all knew it but the men after us wasn't about to let that happen. Soldiers stormed into the building from places I didn't even know they could get in.

We traveled up the stairs and to higher ground hoping to just sneak away but all it resulted in was giving us a view of Tess' lifeless body.

I couldn't help but think of the first time I saw one, really saw one up close and personal.

It's been two weeks since the mysterious Joel came into my life. He talks about moving on more and more but I always got this feeling in my stomach telling me I didn't want him to leave. He left an hour ago calming to get food but we both knew he wouldn't be back. But who could blame him he spoke as if he had a plan. Something I did not.

I was standing in the room upstairs when I heard the footsteps.

"Joel is that you?" I call out pulling my shirt on.

I roll my eyes when I don't get an answer Joel not very much into talking.

"Did you find anything out there?" I ask standing up and making my way into the hallway.

I walk down the steps but stop when I see a man I've never met before digging threw my stuff.

"What are you doing?" I ask making him spin around to face me.

The blood on his sleeve caught my eye first but the bite was what worried me.

"You need to leave." I say taking a step back, hoping to get to a knife in the kitchen.

I didn't know if he was dangerous or not.

He doesn't say anything only starts walking towards me. As soon as I make a move for the blade on the counter he charges me knocking me to the floor.

"Get off me!" I yell trying to push him off as he claws at me but it was no use.

He might have been bitten but his eyes were still human he knew what he was doing. When the front door bangs against the wall I jump looking to see Joel there. The man turns his attention on Joel him getting up to throw a punch.

Both men fell to the floor swinging at one another.

"Stop it!" I yell watching the man's fist slam into Joel's face.

It giving him the upperhand to start pounding on Joel.

I hear his pistol slid across the floor and I even hear it go off but I don't ever remember picking it up.

When the bang rings in my ears I watch as the man falls to the floor, blood pouring from his neck as he chokes and gags.

Realization of what I did hitting me like a load of bricks.

"I told him to stop." I say looking Joel his gaze falling on me.

"Why didn't he just stop?" I say my whole body shaking.

I jump when Joel lays his jacket over me covering my ripped shirt.

"You didn't have a choice." He says grabbing the gun in my hand it suddenly feeling like it weighs a ton.

"I didn't mean to." I said feeling hot tears running down my face as the gun is placed on the floor.

"Yeah I know." Joel says wiping my cheeks.

Shaking I sit in the same spot as Joel moves around the house collecting anything useful, him helping me to my feet and out the front door us leaving in a matter of minutes.