Chapter One

Chapter One

                My life changed five years ago, from being the loud, crazy girl throughout elementary school, to the quiet, insecure girl that still takes over my body. It was the twenty sixth day of September, five years ago that changed my entire life. I can recall the events that led to who I am now. I can’t say that it changed me for the better, but it sure changed my life.

                It was the twenty sixth day of September.

                Five years ago, that was the date of my friend, Luke Kioski’s party. I was a naïve sixth grader, but I thought I was the coolest girl there. I was flanked with my two best friends who’ve stuck with me ever since the first grade, Tatum and Mallory. We all wore blue shorts, a collared polo, and Chuck Taylors that were loosely tied.

                All of us girls walked down Kioski’s basement stairs, to be exposed to a dim lit room with a fog machine in the corner. A billiards table and an air hockey table were set in the opposite sides of the room, with two couches and a coffee table in the middle. As we walked down the stairs, all of the party goers were talking and chatting. Basically we were divided by sex, unintentionally. Girls were huddled around the air hockey table and the guys were actually playing pool—or trying.

                “Hey, Ingrid!” a girl called out. I smiled casually and scoped the other side of the room.

               “Luke looks cute today,” Mallory commented to Tatum in a low whisper. They were hooking their arms together and stared at Luke, making it obvious that we were looking at him. Luke was a tall boy with jeans that hung below his hips.

                “No. Mark Jones looks better,” Tatum said to us. Mark Jones was a god in our grade. He had the most perfect smile and the most gorgeous face. He had brown side swept hair and gray eyes that pierced into you, creating a hole that would leave you speechless. He was the guy that everyone wanted to date.

                As we continued on looking at all the guys, we created eye contact with Sean Brown. He had a mischievous smile plastered on his lips. He lured the guys in, in a small huddle. They all smiled and looked at Mark who had a sly smirk that girls would faint at.

                I looked away and began talking to Mallory and Tatum.

                “I really wonder what they’re talking about,” Mallory whispered to Tatum and me. Her big brown eyes were decorated with silver shimmer that covered her lids.

                “Oh my goodness, Mark is coming over here,” Tatum shrieked.  She began jumping in place as Mallory showed a crooked grin. I just stood there, keeping my cool, but maybe I was doing the same thing, but I felt I was keeping it cool.

                “Hey, Ingrid, can we talk for a second?” Mark asked me. He had that smirk that got him everything he wanted, but even if his smirk wasn’t to die for, I’d still go with him. Mark pulled me over the refreshment table. Everyone’s eyes were plastered onto us. Everyone’s eyes were filled with eagerness.

                “Do you want to go out with me?” Mark questioned me with a bucket load of confidence. We all knew that no one would turn him down simply because he was Mark Jones. My heart pounded. I didn’t know whether or not I heard right, but then, I couldn’t even speak, so I nodded. He enveloped me into a warm hug and whispered something into my ear.

                “But you can never break up with me.”

                Back then, that was the best night of my life, but I never knew how his words would feel suffocating