1.1

June 13, 2014

As the sun rose, I found myself underneath the tree, watching the sun rise. The morning summer breeze blew around making goosebumps rise on my arms. But it was nice - relaxing. I sat under the tree, a book in hand, "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott. The kind old lady at the bookshop recommended it to me. I was at the part where Jo meets Laurie. It was a little odd for me seeing as back in my time Jo was more commonly a boys' name, and Laurie was a girls'. Yet, in this book, it's the opposite, and I think that's the point of this story - that neither men nor women have to live with the gender stereotypes that society pushes on us.

After the battle of New York, I traveled for a while, going all over the States. But as fun and adventurous as it was I missed being able to sleep in my own bed. Not that I had a bed anywhere other than the helicarrier. It was the idea of home that I missed. It was Steve; the last part of my family. The last piece I had of Bucky.

Bucky... I thought of him everyday and yet everyday didn't seem like enough time to think of him. He was gone, but he wasn't at the same time. My heart kept the love I shared with him alive. My brain kept the memories of us alive. Yet it didn't seem like enough. It never seemed like enough time and memories. I wanted more but... he was gone. Gone.

Wiping a single tear from my eye, I went back to reading my book. While I read, Steve was on his morning run around the Washington Monument. This was a normal Saturday for him. There was another guy there, doing the same run as Steve but slower. He looked irritated as Steve passed by him the thousandth time and started to run faster, pushing himself. I laughed under my breath and went back to my book. As the sun rose higher in the sky, I took off my jacket and laid down with my feet swinging in the air behind me. As I finished up the book, the other guy finished before Steve and ran in towards me. He was panting and reached for his water bottle which was near me. I put the book down and handed it towards him. "Thanks." He breathed out, still out of breath from his run. "What's a pretty girl like you doing up so early?" I smiled and shook my head at him. Reaching my arm out, I introduced myself.

"I'm Clara Williams. Steve's friend." I inform him, nodding my head over to the super soldier that was running over to us now.

"I'm Sam Wilson." He helped me up and I put the book under my armpit. I handed Steve his water as he put his arm around me.

"Need a medic?" Steve jokes as Sam continues to pant.

"I need a new set of lungs. Dude, you just ran like 13 miles in 30 minutes." Sam says, laughing as he pats Steve on the back.

"I guess I got a late start." I rolled my eyes at the super soldier.

"Oh, really? You should be ashamed of yourself. You should take another lap." I told Steve, chuckling as Steve smirked at me. Sam smiles, laughing.

"Did you just take it? I assumed you just took it." Sam said, finishing my joke. Both Sam and I smiled at each other, looking back at Steve.

"What unit you with?" Steve asked Sam, bringing his attention back to Steve.

"58, Para-rescue. But now I'm working down at the VA. Sam Wilson." Sam introduces, raises his hand.

"Steve Rogers." Sam laughed, shaking Steve's hand.

"I kind of put that together. Must have freaked you out coming home after the whole defrosting thing." I looked at Steve, who nodded.

"It takes some getting used to. It's good to meet you, Sam." Steve says, turning around to leave.

"It's your bed, right?" Steve turned around, looking at Sam. "Your bed, it's too soft. When I was over there I'd sleep on the ground and use rock for pillows, like a caveman. Now I'm home, lying in my bed, and it's like..." Steve smiled and nodded, understanding Sam.