1.11

June 18, 2014

The facial technology that Fury put on my face was like a facial mask. It felt a little weird being on and even though I still felt like myself, my face looked completely different in the mirror. I walked with the other councilmen, disguised as Councilwoman Hawley. Pierce walked up to us and smiled. I smiled back. Natasha taught me everything I know about going undercover. "And how was your flight?" Pierce asked me. I looked up at him, following him in SHIELD HQ.

"Lovely. The ride from the airport less so." I told him.

"Sadly, SHIELD can't control everything." Pierce stated, making me chuckle at him. Councilman Rockwell nodded moving to the other side of Pierce.

"Including Captain America." Pierce walks over to one of the guards who hands him a case containing four pins. Pierce completely ignored Rockwell's statement.

"This facility is biometrically controlled, and these will give you unrestricted access." Each of us put the pin on our clothes. By now we were in Pierce's office, a glass of champagne in our hands. "I know the road hasn't exactly been smooth, and some of you would have gladly kicked me out of the car along the way. Finally we're here, and the world should be grateful." As soon as we take a sip of the champagne, Steve's voice interrupts from the speakers throughout SHIELD. Everyone could hear him.

"Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader." I watch as Pierce looks at us and shrugs. He moves behind his desk and puts down his glass. "The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you." Pierce pulls out his phone and texts someone. "They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." Steve finishes his speech and the intercom turns off.

The councilmen around me turn to Pierce. "You smug son of a bitch." Rockwell snarls as a group of STRIKE agents walk in the room, hands on their weapons.

"Arrest him." Singh orders to the agents but the one just points his gun at Singh.

"I guess I've got the floor." Pierce says, shrugging as he moves to the front of the room. From the outside, I can hear the helicarriers launch, going into the air. We watch from the window as the helicarriers shoot at Sam and Steve. Pierce then turns to Singh. "Let me ask you a question. What if Pakistan marched into Mumbai tomorrow, and you knew that they were gonna drag your daughters into a soccer stadium for execution?" Pierce hands Singh a glass of champagne. "And you could just stop it with a flick of the switch. Wouldn't you? Wouldn't you all?" Singh turns to Pierce, shaking his head.

"Not if it was your switch." Singh tosses the glass aside. One of the HYDRA agents hands Pierce his gun and Pierce points it at Singh. Having enough of this, I move Singh out of the way and take down the other HYDRA agents before taking the gun from Pierce's hand, pointing it at Pierce.

"I'm sorry. Did I step on your moment?" I ask Pierce as I take off the technomask, throwing it to the floor with my wig. I move myself to the computer at Pierce's desk, handing the gun to one of the councilmen.

"What are you doing?" Rockewell asks me. Before I get a chance to answer, Pierce answers for me.

"She's disabling security protocols and dumping all the secrets onto the Internet." I look at Pierce.