1.10

June 17, 2014

We sat around, looking at Fury as he held a photograph of Pierce from back in the day. "This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize. He said, 'Peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility.' See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues." Fury threw down the photo as he looked at me and Steve.

"We have to stop the launch." I tell him, looking at Steve who nods.

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore." Fury opens a case containing three chips.

"What's that?" Sam asked, stepping forward.

"Once the Helicarriers reach three thousand feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponized." Maria tells us, showing us the computer which illustrated where the helicarriers were going to be.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own." Fury tells us as the image on the screen shows us where the chips need to be placed.

"One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational a whole lot of people are gonna die." I look back and forth between the computer and Fury.

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We need to get pass them, insert the server blades, and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left..." Fury tells us before he is interrupted by Steve.

"We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down SHIELD." Steve told him.

"SHIELD had nothing to do with it." Fury started but before he could get out another word, Steve started again.

"You gave me this mission, this is how it ends. SHIELD's been compromised, you said so yourself. HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed." I sighed, looking down. Steve had a point. If we wanted to win, SHIELD had to go.

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed." Fury replied.

"And how many paid the price before you did?" Steve asked him, all of us hearing the irritation in huis voice.
"Look, I didn't know about Barnes." Fury said, bringing my attention to him.

"Even if you have, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that too? SHIELD, HYDRA, it all goes."

We were all silent for a minute before Maria spoke up. "He's right." Fury looked at Maria and then at me and Sam, searching all our faces to see if we agreed with one another, which we did.

"Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower." Sam says to Fury who chuckles in response.

"Well... Looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain." Fury says, leaning back in his seat.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

I stood on the bridge, looking over as the water flowed down and splashed into the lake. I couldn't stop thinking about Bucky. Or the Winter Soldier. Whatever he was now. We were going to get married after the war but that all changed when he died. Frankly the wedding was only going to include 5 people but that's how we wanted it.

Flashback

She was dressed in all black. They all were. Sarah had been a mom, a friend, and a mentor. Clara stood there next to Steve, her arm looped around his, holding him as close as she could. He was being strong but she could see the sadness in his eyes and tears building up. And for that, she pulled him closer. His dad had died months before Steve was born in the war and now he had just lost his mom. He loved her so much. And now she was just gone. Clara was saddened by this as well. Sarah had taken care of her growing up, she was like a second mom. Clara tried not to cry, she had cried days before when she found out the news and she didn't want to cry in front of Steve. Bucky stood on the other side of Steve, occasionally looking at Steve, to see how he was doing. It didn't help that Clara was on the other side of Steve, on the verge of tears. Bucky wanted to take away all their pain. He didn't like seeing them like this.

After the funeral, the trio walked silently and solemnly back to Steve's now lonely home. "Do you want us to come in?" Clara asks Steve as they climb up the steps to the apartment. "I kinda just want to be alone." Steve answered, his voice hoarse. It was silent for a few seconds as Steve brushed his hair out of his eyes, before Bucky spoke up. "I was gonna ask." He said. Both Clara and Steve knew what he was talking about, even without any context. "I know what you're gonna say Buck. It's just..." Steve replied as he dug his hands in his pockets, looking for the key to the apartment. "You can put the couch cushions on the floor, like when we were kids. It'll be fun. All you gotta do is shine my shoes, maybe take out the trash." Bucky finally realized that Steve had no idea where his key was and kicked away the brick on the floor, revealing the spare key. He handed it to Steve. "Come on." Bucky pleaded with him. Steve took the key grateful and sighed. "Thank you Buck, but I can get by on my own." Clara sighed, putting her hand on Steve's shoulder. "But the thing is Steve; you don't have to. You've got us to rely on. We're best friends. We're always going to be here for you." She told him, her eyes red but full on compassion for the boy. "I'm with you till the end of the line, pal." Bucky said, bringing him into a hug. A small smile rose to Steve's lips as Clara watched the two boys. Her boys.

I came out of the flashback with some tears rolling down my eyes when Steve placed his hand on my shoulder. I looked up at him and hugged him tightly. "Steve, I'm with you till the end of the line ok? It's ok if you have to kill him, ok? If you have to, you need to do it. I'm not going to lose you too. No matter what happens, I'm with you." The tears were streaming down my face as Steve brought me into a hug, kissing the top of my head. Steve pulled away, forcing me to look him in the eyes.

"I'm not going to kill him. I'm going to find a way to save him. For you, for the both of us. Bucky will come back to us. He has to." 

Till the end of the line.