Urban Blight

How did he know I fainted?

Why do I hear one story from him, and another from Danny and the others?

How much do I need to worry about that kid from the news?

Thoughts were buzzing around Sam's skull. She sat at her kitchen table, stirring her cup of tea on autopilot, Nyx relaxing in her lap as usual. One after the other, until one particular thought stopped her mind right in its tracks.

His voice...Phantom's voice was scratchy that day...just like...Danny?

Could it be possible?

Anything is possible, of course.

It would explain a lot.

Her memories flashed back to the conversation she overheard that day, between Danny, Tucker, Valerie, and Lancer. Danny had said she had told him about the Heat Fiend. But it had been the mysterious Phantom she spoke to.

Barbra's premonition echoed in her ears. "You'll need it if you want to save him, your true one. He walks in two worlds and yet he belongs to neither."

Two worlds?

Oh Fates, oh my...Danny and Phantom...

"Sam!"

Sam practically jumped out her chair, and Nyx did not appreciate the disturbance.

She looked up to see the concerned icy blue eyes of the very boy that plagued her thoughts.

Danny places a hand on her shoulder. "Sam, are you okay? You looked a little dazed; do you feel faint again?"

Sam's cheeks flushed. Are they really the same person?

She took a breath. "N-no, I'm just tired."

Danny sat down at the table, ignoring the suspicious glare from Nyx. What does that cat have against me?

He cleared his throat and smiled at her. "It's almost time to go. Your grandma let me in."

Sam smiled back. "Alright, I'll get my backpack."

After putting her cup in the sink and saying bye to her Gramm, Sam found herself walking down the sidewalk with Danny.

And, believe it or not, he was making her laugh.

"...There was ectoplasm all over the kitchen!" Danny laughed along with her. "I thought my mom was gonna have a cow!"

"Do all of your dad's inventions end up like that?" Sam asked, almost choking on her own laughter.

"Only the ones my mom doesn't help him with," he smirked at her.

"Your parents seem like fun people," Sam chuckled. "I'm jealous."

Danny scoffed. "If you think wacky jumpsuits and constant embarrassment is fun. Their quirks haven't exactly given them the best reputation."

Sam flicked his shoulder.

"Hey!" Danny jokingly yelped as he touched the assaulted spot.

"There's nothing wrong with being different," Sam scolded. "I think it's cool! You shouldn't be ashamed of who they are. As long they love you, who cares what anyone else thinks?"

Danny looked shocked for a moment before his face relaxed into a gleeful smile. He ignored his heart as it started to flutter a bit. "Oh, trust me, I know they love me. They make obvious every damn day. So much, once my dad was so proud that he had me wear one his jumpsuits."