S I X

Slumping next to Maya in the bus, Stella rests her knees against the leather seat in front of her. Her water bottle stays positioned between her teeth as she sips, her eyes locked on the field. Maya nudges her but Stella barely notices.

"What are you guys doing?" Stella glances at the entrance as Ethan walks in. "The second half's about to start."

"Our QB sucks!" Stella yells. "Someone please take over for me. I can't take it."

"Cool." Ethan walks over as he plays with the ball in his hands. "Because I was thinking I would."

Maya sits up. "I thought you were worried about getting hurt."

"The Stallions need to worry." Ethan looks around at each member of the team. "Because we're about to take this ball and stick it in the end zone!"

The entire bus erupts into cheers. Maya shoots to her feet as Stella shrieks, covering her head and curling into a ball beside the window. She chuckles as the team heads out of the bus, screaming all the way. "Come on, music geek," Maya says, tugging Stella up. "We've got a game to finish."

"Can I be on the sidelines this time?" Stella asks as they get back to the field.

Maya hands her a belt. "Nope. If I've gotta play, so do you."

Stella groans but a grin spreads over her lips. As she takes her position next to Maya and in front of Ethan, she shakes her head. "Teddy's gonna love this," she mutters as the play begins.

With Ethan on the field, they begin to win. Play after play after play. He knocks the ball out of MG's grasp; he races down the field faster than anyone else; he even does tricks. Stella almost wonders if he's supernatural.

As Stella takes a drink of water during the time out, she notices Lizzie strutting over to the huddled group of Stallions. The blonde sends a crude smile towards Stella before she speaks with her team. "We've got trouble," Stella says to Ethan and Maya, both of whom stand beside her. "Lizzie's an amazing quarterback. She's strategic and has a knack for flare."

"Oh, don't worry," Ethan says as the whistle blows. They all walk onto the field, Ethan's hand on Stella's shoulder. Before she can get into position, he moves his mouth close to her ear. "I've got a plan."

"And that involves heating my ear up to a hundred degrees?" Stella quips. Maya stays close, smirking as she listens in.

"That girl who tackled you before," Ethan says. Stella meets Josie's narrowed eyes. "She gets upset when Maya or I do anything with you. I'm hoping she'll make a mistake."

Stella glances back at him. "You might be even more evil than Lizzie."

He winks. "And don't worry," he says, squeezing his hand enough for Josie to notice. "Maya told me you're not into dudes. You're into her." He glances at Josie.

Stella nods as she moves away from him. "Don't worry about it, Ethan," she replies, her voice loud enough for the other side to hear. "I've got it covered."

The teams line up, Maya and Stella before Josie as she squats with the ball.

"Hut!" Lizzie shouts; Josie tosses her the ball. Stella watches as she fakes a pass to Kaleb before turning around and finding Josie on the right.

"Fake!" Stella yells before she races at Lizzie.

The ball sails straight into Josie's hand. The girl grins, sprinting towards the end-zone; Ethan snatches the ball right out of her hand.

With a shout, he races down the field, leaving Josie in the dust. The rest of the team herds him, making sure no one can grab him. Stella narrows her eyes when she sees MG sneaking through. "Laxo."