T W E N T Y - T H R E E

Despite the situation, Stella keeps her head held high. No doubt her parents have already been called. No doubt everyone back in the regular world is looking for ways to help them out. They are surrounded by weapons hidden all around the old Salvatore house. Luckily for Stella, her mother had drawn her a map of where the weapons were, just in case Triad tried anything again. It was outdated, but they were in an old version of the house anyway, so there is a chance of hope.

As Alaric pours himself a drink, Stella wanders over to the couch, crouching to reach underneath it. A knife falls into her palm. Smirking to herself, she stuffs it into the waistband of her pants, sending Sebastian a wink. He rolls his eyes and shakes his head. "Clever," he mutters from his corner.

"You lied to me?" Lizzie shouts as she and Josie crowd their father. "You told me that Sebastian chose to leave the school."

"I said he made his choice. He refused to respect our rules."

Lizzie crosses her arms. "So you sent him here?"

"He had help," Sebastian says from his seat. "There was a witch who did the spell and a werewolf to scare me into submission. The witch...dark hair, kind eyes. Amazing accent."

"Emma," Stella realizes as she clenches her jaw. "and Isaac. Seriously? Damn it!"

Alaric sends the Hale a look as she turns away, bringing her fist up to her chin. "You can yell at me after we arm ourselves."

Josie steps in front of him. "Dad, why do we need weapons so bad?"

"All you need to know is that we're in danger, and we need to find a way out now." Before Alaric can move, Sebastian races before him with a smirk; Alaric hardens his expression.

"We're in a new world now," Sebastian coos. "Perhaps you are no longer the one in charge."

Taking a stake out of his waistband, Alaric shoves it into Sebastian's chest. Behind them, Lizzie runs forward but her twin and Stella to stop her. "To be clear," Alaric says softly. "my daughters, Stella, and I are leaving. You are staying behind, and yes, I am in charge."

He leaves Sebastian a moaning mess on the ground. Lizzie races up to him as Stella and Josie follow the only adult into what was the library at the school. Alaric ducks beneath a desk to retrieve a crossbow with an arrow already knocked.

"This is about Uncle Kai, isn't it?" Josie asks. "That's why you're so worried?" Alaric does not respond as he takes a large knife from the wall behind a pile of books. "I know this has to be hard for you, but you said he was desiccated."

"You don't know what he's capable of," Alaric replies as he hands the knife to Josie. "and until I'm positive no one's set him free, I'm not taking any chances." Pressing his hand against a wooden panel, it moves to reveal a loaded gun; he hands it to Stella.

The Hale witch cautiously takes it, turning it over in her hand. She disarms it, putting the magazine in her pocket, and secures the gun in her hand. "Who could've set the sociopath free?" She asks.

"I'll explain all that later," Alaric says. "Right now, I need you to go to the meadow and get the Sandclock before anyone else finds it. Then I need you to come back here and hide. And stay hidden."

"Dad, this is all my fault," Josie says before he can leave. "If I hadn't done black magic in the first place, we'd have never been in this mess."

Taking a second to breathe, Alaric sends his daughter a soft smile. "We all make mistakes." He gives the girls one last look before he takes off out of the house.

Turning to Josie, Stella takes her hand. "We should get some provisions. Then, let's get that Sandclock before anyone can use it."

The two girls walk through the old house finding large suites with towering beds and luxurious bathrooms. Not once do they split up, even as they dig through closets of old clothes to find two large backpacks and coats. Adjusting her weapons, Stella slides the loaded magazine into her jacket pocket, the gun into the bag, and the knife up her sleeve; she does not let Josie see the knife.