F O U R T E E N

Teddy and Lizzie walk through the dungeons with Simu-Landon by their side. Teddy has a firm grip on the hologram's shoulders as Lizzie says, "Remember, just casually walk by him and as soon as the sphinx sees you, I'll use magic to open the bars, and then he'll grab you and take his new toy back to Malivore."

Landon pauses and looks between them. "You make this sound easy and fun when it's actually gruesome and terrifying. And Teddy's already beyond terrifying, and I might have a panic attack because he keeps glaring at me."

Teddy just tightens his grip. "Go." He pushes the boy into the dungeon before he pushes Lizzie up against the wall, effectively hiding them from sight.

"Landon Kirby," The sphinx drawls. He drags his claws along the bars as he goes to the door.

Lizzie wraps her hand around Teddy's arm and whispers, "Patentibus."

The cell door opens.

"And what exactly do I do with you?" The sphinx asks. "I have no need for you."

"Excuse me?" Lizzie screeches as she closes the cell door and steps out from hiding. Teddy growls under his breath, choosing to stay by the exit with his arms crossed as Simu-Landon runs away with cheers leaving his mouth. "Did a hairball get lodged in your brain? That's Landon Kirby. The one and only!"

Teddy holds his head up. "Every monster that comes out of that portal wants him for Malivore."

The sphinx grins at the wolf. "I am not here for Landon Kirby."

"Then why are you here?"

"An answer for an answer—"

"Enough with the riddles!" Lizzie exclaims.

"Fine. I'll answer your question," The sphinx pauses as Lizzie rejoices. "in the form of a riddle."

"Should have seen that coming," Teddy mutters.

"In blackness, a light emerges, illuminating the path for darkened souls to follow. Two forge their own way, but a third sees a new path. What is the new path?"

Lizzie clenches her jaw. "So helpful. Thanks." She spins on her heel. "Let's go, Teddy. He's obviously useless."

"So useless," the sphinx says. "that I know about the eljun."

Both blonds stare at the sphinx, new curiosity resting in their gaze. Teddy steps in front of Lizzie with narrowed eyes. "What do you know?"

"Answer a riddle, and I will tell you." The sphinx flexes his claws. "I have a mouth but do not speak. I have a bed but do not sleep. I run everywhere but go nowhere. What am I?"

"A river," Teddy answers instantly. "Now, what do you know?"

"They've been used," The sphinx says. "He who appears as the dead has used the power freely offered. Watch out for the darkness in their eyes."

"That doesn't make any sense," Lizzie says. "How do we break the bond?"

"You wish for another riddle?" He laughs. "I would advise against it. You are on a, how do you say, time crunch."

"Lizzie, we gotta go," Teddy says, grabbing her arm. "We'll be back, oracle man."

"I am the all-holy sphinx!" It yells as Teddy drags Lizzie from the room, despite her screeching.

Once far enough away from the dungeon, Teddy turns back to her with a glare. "Shut up!" He shouts, causing her to go quiet. "It basically said that both of our sisters are in danger. We need to find your dad and fill him in. Now."