Adapting

TO ALL APPLICANTS OF THE INDOKANI EXAMS.

The first stage of the exam will take place in the IK-CADCOM HQ at seven D.C. tomorrow. You must present yourselves alone at the accorded time and place. Failure to comply will result in automatic elimination.

*The following note was only added to Irken aspirant's message*

This goes double for YOU.

-IZ-

Midosis, OTF Hangar.

"Okay, Tenn, let's begin with introducing you to the Kurokran."

Tenn took a deep breath. She was led back into Midosis's OTF hangar, wearing the anti-acidic suit in both her real and holographic forms. She saw most of the Kurokran were out of their pools being tended to by the maintenance workers. Maintenance consisted mostly of pouring cold water on top of the creatures; whenever the water touched their scaly bodies, it released steam. They reminded Tenn of the overheated ships in the Academy that had to be cooled down this way.

"The OTF units are ordinarily deployed from here, Hangars 5 to 12." General Abilk motioned to one of the sobrekt near the pool to come closer. "This is Airman Konoga, the OTF maintenance leader."

"Nice to make your acquaintance, miss!" the croc said with a youthful, happy voice. "I must say, you're very fortunate for being chosen!"

"Why are they kept in pools?" Tenn couldn't help but ask as she leaned in at the edge of the pool where her Kurokran lay at the bottom.

"Oh, that. You see, to disperse their intense metabolic heat, Kurokran need to fly. But even when most of the heat is released, the temperature continues to rise when they are on the ground, so they rest inside the pools to keep it from going too high." Konoga glanced back at the one pool that was still occupied. "That one, however, hasn't accepted any kurokani for the past fourteen years. Without a kurokani, Kurokran can't fly much less navigate an emergency situation. It has to stay all the time in the pool to keep itself cool, but even with that it's at its limit."

"So you are its savior." Abilk finished. "Raise the Kurokran!"

"Raising Kurokran on the lift!"

Tenn stepped back when the ground vibrated and waves formed on the pool's surface as the Kurokran was raised out of the pool. Giant black, leathery wings spread out from beneath the water, sending droplets flying everywhere. The wyvern-like creature emerged, looked down at Tenn with its toxic green eyes and shook the excess water off, creating a massive gust of wind that nearly sent her flying. She could now take a better look at it. It looked like the rest of its kind, but she noticed there were lighter patterns on its wings and chest.

"He's actually behaving today. Usually, he's like a spoiled brat." She heard one of the maintenance workers say.

"Okay, now you may try to touch it." Abilk pushed her forward. "Just imagine you're about to pet your frill-neck, except this one's big enough to swallow you whole."

Tenn stepped forward. Her gaze never left the Kurokran. His eyes were interlocked with hers. She found herself mesmerized with those large ocular orbs. The Kurokran tilted his head with a purr and lowered his head, arching his slender long neck in the process. Tenn felt a shiver down her spine when it snorted right in her face. His breath was very hot. She heard more workers murmur in awe that the creature had made the first move, a clear sign that she was the 'real deal'. Even Konoga cried out that she was amazing.