vi. Helping Lawrence

Song: SIGN OF THE TIMES; harry styles

     GALLY had been less than willing to hand back my knives after little Marie had informed him of my aim.

Still, he willingly led us to his leader, Lawrence, with a promise to get us in to the Last City. Tommy had been extremely reluctant to follow, but knowing that I would do anything to Min and Rach back, he quickly knew there was no other option but to follow his long term foe.

"After the Maze, I got picked up by a group headed to the city." Gally explained as he led us through the base.

"They realised I was immune," he continued, "patched me up and they brought me here to Lawrence. This group's been at war with WICKED ever since they took control of the city, but WICKED can't hide behind those walls forever. Day's gonna come and they're gonna pay for what they've done."

He rounded a corner and stopped, turning to face our group, explaining in a low tone, "Listen, uh, he doesn't get a lot of visitors. So, let me do the talking. All right? And try not to stare."

Em awkwardly hung back behind the group, seeing as she had an intense and deep hatred of me, which was understandable. She had used to be my best friend, my running partner and I had lost her, she had got trapped in the Maze overnight, stung and then had her throat slit by me.

I still didn't understand how she or Marie had survived, the young girl had been seemingly hauled away by Grievers, as we tried to escape the Maze.

It wasn't a topic I wanted to push now, especially seeing as my former best friend held a loaded rifle in her hands.

Lawrence's quarters were filled with mellow chords of classical music and a large array of plants and shrubbery, which seemed to spring up from everywhere apart from the flower bed at the back of his room.

"Gally," Lawrence greeted as our group entered his domain, "glad to see you made it back. Jasper told me what happened."

"It was a slaughter. There's nothing we can do against those guns." the Builder replied.

"No, but they can only poke the hornet's nest so long before they get stung."

I looked over to Em, who bowed her head at that word, remembering her own encounter after I abandoned her. Lawrence plucked a rose, lifting it fo his nose to smell.

At least, that's where his nose should have been. In its place was a deep, fleshy cavity, the rest of his skin was ringed with blue veins: a crank.

"Now," the crank continued, "who are there people? Why are they here?"

Tommy steps forwards, "We need to get into WICKED. Gally said you could get us through the walls."

I rolled my eyes at his complete inability to follow a single instruction. Em smirked over at me, before realising I had seen her, her face returning to its stone cold facade.

"Gally should know better than to make promises he can't keep." he chuckled, "Besides, that wall is only half your problem. Getting inside WICKED is impossible."

"There might be a way now." Gally interjects, "But it doesn't work without Thomas."

"Is that so?" he steps forward, dragging an IV with him, "Do you know what I am, Thomas? I am a business man. Which means that I don't take unnecessary risks, why should I trust you?"

"Cause I can help you," Tommy replies, "You see, if you can get me through those walls, I can get you what you need."

"What is it that you think I need?"