Chapter 8: The Kings and Queens

Celebrating with the Narnians helped ease her anxieties about being with them. Then again, they thought she was their queen, so of course they were going to treat her with kindness and respect.

Even though their opinions would probably change when they find out her true origin, Aslan assured her over and over again she was safe and welcome here, no matter what she did.

***

"What about this one?" Daria asked, holding up a shortsword to Sara. She pulled it from the scabbard, letting it glint in the sunlight.

Sara took one look and shook her head, glancing around at the selection of swords. She wasn't quite satisfied. "Too small."

Daria nodded in agreement after a moment of contemplation, letting it fall back into the sheath and setting it aside. She turned to see Sara picking up another sword, still large in comparison to her childlike frame, but Sara seemed to be better versed with the hand and a half sword. She was certainly more comfortable and better balanced.

"I like this one," Sara decided. She'd been using borrowed dull weapons to train with the other soldiers, but after a week of using them, she decided she needed to acquire a sword of her own to get comfortable with.

Daria smiled. "It seems like it. Shall we get back out with the other troops?"

Sara secured the sword to her belt and was about to agree when chatter began to rise outside the weapons tent. Then the cry of a distant horn sounded twice, signalling someone important was entering the camp. Who though? Aslan had already arrived.

Curiosity piqued within both the friends and they decided to go investigate. As they emerged into the sunlight, Narnians began crowding around, stopping their tasks to stare at three children entering the camp, glancing around and whispering to each other nervously.

A boy and two girls, all evidently siblings, wandered toward Aslan's tent, gaining a large crowd of followers as they neared.

The boy was no older than Sara herself. Despite the pressure of the strange creatures all standing around watching him and his sisters, he carried himself confidently. There was no doubt he was a king.

There was no doubt they were the Son of Adam and Daughters of Eve destined to save Narnia.

The elder of the two sisters looked around the same age as the boy, maybe a little younger. She was very beautiful, but she felt the need to preen herself as they walked, tucking her chocolate hair behind her ears and smoothing her wrinkled blouse. She whispered something to the younger sister.

The younger sister was very little, but almost a mirror image of the elder sister. She reminded Sara of herself when she first entered Narnia, appearing to be about the same age. The child's wide eyes and innocent presence was what made Sara question how the three were supposed to save Narnia.

Sara was disappointed when she noted that Edmund was not with the children who were undoubtedly his siblings. She sincerely hoped he was okay. She also noted the way the children were missing their shoes, and their sleeves had been rolled up past their elbows.

The three siblings were accompanied by a pair of beavers. Sara vaguely recognized them, remembering the Witch had sent her after the married couple once or twice for living too comfortably or something. She dismissed the thought as the unlikely group neared Aslan's tent where General Oreius stood guard.

The camp silenced as the boy drew his sword and held it to the General, his hands shaking a little. He clenched his jaw and tried to endure the awkward silence before stammering, "We have come to see Aslan."

Another moment of stillness followed, then Sara and each Narnian took a knee all at once.

Aslan emerged from his tent, the awe of meeting him sending the children to their knees as well. His warm gaze washed over each of the children.

When the camp was back on their feet, Sara stepped between a pair of Narnians to get a better look at the children. A sense of delight fell upon her as she looked at them. It was the first time she saw a human that wasn't also half animal since she left England. Seeing her own kind brought almost a sense of relief upon her. She knew she would be too nervous to approach them, though, so she figured she would just appreciate their presence from afar.

The littlest one glanced around at all the strange creatures surrounding her and her siblings and locked eyes with Sara. Her attention was torn away when Aslan spoke.

"Welcome, Peter, Son of Adam." He addressed the children. "Welcome, Susan and Lucy, Daughters of Eve. And welcome to you, Beavers. You have my thanks." His gaze washed over the children and their accompanying furry friends another time. "But where is the fourth?"

For half a second, Sara hoped she may be the fourth. Perhaps she could take the place of Edmund. She shook the thought, but the jealousy lingered.

"That's why we're here, sir," Peter spoke as he and his sisters rose to their feet. "We need your help."

And we need your help, Sara thought.

"We had a little trouble along the way," Susan added. She smoothed her hair and shifted uncomfortably.

"Our brother's been captured by the White Witch," Peter added, sheathing his sword.

"Captured?" Aslan stood a little taller, appearing very serious. "How could this happen?"

Each of the children exchanged glances, not wanting to tattle on their brother for his wrongdoings. They looked to the beavers, who were just as hesitant to explain as well.

Sara stepped forward, the tension in the air nearly suffocating her. "He betrayed them, Your Majesty."

Murmurs broke out among the Narnians, the hum of voices steadily growing louder as the children looked to Sara to see who exposed their brother.

If looks could kill, Susan's glare would have Sara dead in an instant. The other two siblings displayed confusion on their faces upon seeing another human here.

"Then he has betrayed us all!" Oreius declared. He stamped a hoof, the muscles in his haunches tensing.

"Peace, Oreius. I'm sure there's an explanation," Aslan said, diffusing some of the rigidity among the Narnians. He turned first to Sara.

"I met him in the Witch's dungeons. She tricked him." A sense of empathy washed through Sara, her eyes growing sad. "He didn't mean to. I think he was just afraid."

"It's my fault, really," Peter broke in, his eyes downcast as guilt weighed on him. "I was too hard on him."

Susan laid a comforting hand on her brother's shoulder, sharing a sympathetic glance. A tiny smile played on her lips in an attempt to console him. "We all were," she confessed.

"Sir, he's our brother," came Lucy's small, timid voice. Without words, she begged the Great Lion to bring Edmund back to them.

"I know, dear one. But that only makes the betrayal all the worse." Aslan turned to Peter. "This may be harder than you think."