Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Third Person

Adrian had left her mother just over an hour ago. To keep her mother busy, Adrian's mom made Adrian's bed as well as her own. She wiped down dusty shelves, sticky countertops, and end tables. The house was quiet without little Adrian in it, and if her mother was being honest with herself she didn't fancy it one bit.

Adrian's mother sat down on the couch for the first time this afternoon after cleaning. Two minutes into relaxing the sound of the home phone ringing startled her. She stood up and walked to the kitchen to grab it.

Just as she thought Adrian might be okay without her, the phone call proved her wrong. Adrian was not okay, she was so much worse. Her teacher Mrs. Blake called. Adrian was hysterical. Crying, trembling, upset, nervous, and most of all she was non stop asking for her mommy.

Adrian was in panic mode.

Her mother hung up the phone, swung her purse onto her shoulder, and rushed out the door. She had hoped that school would help Adrian and her attachment issues, but clearly this was not going to work out.

Adrian's mother stepped on the gas and hurried to the school. She knew her baby didn't want to go, she wasn't ready. Her mother felt guilty for trying to push Adrian, Adrian wasn't like other kids, she got very uncomfortable around others she didn't know.

Once the car was parked Adrian's mother jumped out of the car and sped walked to the entrance of the school. She pressed the button and told the receptionist her name before the door could be clicked open. And when it did she grabbed the handle and pulled it open.

In the school, Adrian's mother went straight to the main office. When she reached it she stopped and looked through the glass window. Her baby girl was huddled up on a chair with her purple blanket in hand, book bag unzipped, tear-stained cheeks, and her small hand shaking uncontrollably.

Her mother's heart stopped.

Opening the door her mother ignored the receptionist and instead went to Adrian.

"Oh, Adrian." She murmurs.

Her mother picks her up and hugs her close. Adrian cries into her mother's shoulder. To comfort her baby, Adrian's mother rubs her back while swaying her hips in order to rock Adrian.

"Mommy's here." She coos, kissing her forehead.

Adrian holds her arms tight around her mother's neck, she didn't want her mother to leave her again.

From that day on Adrian has been homeschooled.

*

Twelve years later.

Adrian's mother wanted what was best for Adrian, and when Adrian got older and the time was right her mother always had the plan to put her back into a public school. Now was that day.

Of course, her little Adrian was not a little girl anymore. She was a sixteen-year-old girl who was like any other. Yeah, she was nervous, anxious, shy, timid, and many other things, but she was still just a girl.

A little different, but all the same.

Adrian knew this day would come, she did. As ridiculous as it sounds she has prepared for it. She knew her mother wasn't going to be there all the time even if she desperately wanted it to always be that way, there would be a time when she would simply have to do things on her own.

No Adrian wasn't ready not in the slightest, but it was time.

Adrian liked to be cozied up in her room alone reading or perhaps writing. Although she loved those things, she also fancied the outdoors. Adrian savored the feeling of the warm sun rays kissing her delicate skin. She cherished the fresh air that her nostrils inhaled. She loved her people-less freedom, and it was a shame it was going to change.