Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Third Person

Payton and Adrian were two of the first people in the classroom much to Payton's dismay. For Adrian though, she preferred an almost empty classroom, because people stressed her out. If she was being honest with herself, she felt relieved that Elliot was almost always the last one in the classroom. It gave her time to over-analyze an apology that she would probably end up stuttering out as quickly and quietly as she could.

Not only was she overly anxious about seeing Elliot, but she was also overly anxious just being here after what happened and the little control she had over the situation. She never wanted to experience that kind of embarrassment or fear again. Admittedly though, as much as she was nervous-anxious, she was just as giddy-anxious, giddy to see the boy even now who was always somehow mad at her. She couldn't help it, even if she was mildly scared because somehow, a small part of her heart was claimed by him. And that part of her heart never failed to let her forget.

"We should have walked slower, now we have to be in this bloody classroom that much longer." Payton groans dramatically, sitting down at her desk as others begin to slowly fill in. Mr. Anders stood at the front of the room writing questions up on the whiteboard from a sheet he was holding in his hand. "And I don't know about you but this class is about just as fun as watching grass grow." She muttered under her breath, just loud enough to make Adrian giggle and temporarily forget about Elliot.

Adrian pulled out her notebook. When she did she saw Elliot's t-shirt and sweatshirt tucked and folded neatly where she'd put them just this morning before leaving her house, causing a pang in her chest. Her hands became sleek with perspiration knowing she would be returning them soon. Was it wrong to want to keep them? Shaking that thought out of her head, she grabbed her pencil pouch and zipped her book bag shut. "I don't mind it," Adrian murmured. "It's better than history."

Out of all her classes, history was by far her least favorite. She just couldn't force herself to pay attention when it was just so boring to her. Wars and bloodshed didn't interest her, nor did ancient people or civilizations. All the information she attempted to soak up only went through one ear and out the other, it was literally impossible for her to like such a tedious subject. Payton groaned again in response. "Don't even get me started on history. Have you heard Mrs. Simpson's voice? I swear she's a witch."

Adrian gasped trying her best to hold in her laughter. "Payton that's so mean."

She shrugged, a smile dancing on her strawberry lips. "Mean but true. Who cares anyway, she's a rude old lady with a strict policy of hating everyone she comes in contact with." Leaning in close to Adrian she whispers, "Even with menopause I swear she still PMS's." For a moment she's silent, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear while Adrian tries to contemplate what in the world PMS meant. "Either way she's a witch and nobody likes her so don't feel bad if you don't either."

Adrian didn't know what to say, she didn't want to agree and speak foul of someone when she didn't know their circumstances. It felt wrong and a tad cruel, but in contrast, Adrian hasn't really gotten close enough to be on the other side of Mrs. Simpson's indignation where maybe Payton has. Nor did she ever want to figure out what it is like. Drawing random swirls and designs on a blank sheet of her notebook, Adrian whispered out, "Maybe she's reflecting how people treat her."

Noticing Payton's long silence, Adrian peeks over wondering if she said something wrong as the loud conversations of students around her fill her ears. She didn't even realize Payton was staring at her with her golden eyes and a warm smile. "I envy your kindness, your heart is so pure. But you're probably right, maybe she needs to be shown a little more kindness to be able to give it back in return."