Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Third Person

Tears pool Adrian's ocean orbs, she didn't mean to act rude. That was her last intention, she was just shy. Her mother wasn't here, so she had to do this alone, and Adrian wasn't used to being places alone without her mother.

As soon as the apology leaves Adrian's pasty lips, Payton's head swivels back to her, golden orbs widening. Adrian pulls her oversized sweatshirt closer, she wanted to disappear into it and never come out.

Her eyes stung and her heart raced. This was a terrible start to her day.

"Don't be. I'm just so curious sometimes I ramble and you're new." She replies brushing off that boy, Elliot's rude remark. "I'm sorry for overstepping my boundaries, I'm the one who should be apologizing."

Just as Payton apologizes a loud pop sounds behind them. The scary boy pops his gum as if he didn't just say anything to hurt Adrian's feelings. He was just so mean.

Adrian's sweaty palms fold into soft knuckles, wiping her dampened eyes. She was so embarrassed with herself, she was acting like a baby.

"It's okay." Adrian's murmurs to the girl just wanting to end the conversation.

If Payton noticed Adrian's watery eyes, she politely ignored them not wanting to make this anxious girl feel worse.

"Don't let him get to you, that's just how he is." She whispers so only Adrian can hear. Adrian nods her head, though she did let it get to her.

A man walks into the classroom, drawing everyone's attention up front. As the man settles in, Payton leans over. "That's Mr. Anders, he's very boring, I usually nap in this class." She then fakes a yawn.

Adrian glances at Payton with widened eyes. "Y...you can't sleep, you could get in trouble." As Adrian whispers it, her stomach flips in discomfort. She didn't want to get in trouble, the thought rattled her.

Payton giggles. "Oh please." Her glowing lips curving upward, "You're cute Adrian, I think we'll be great friends."

Adrian's nervousness slackens slightly, as an almost smile simpers on her own chapped lips. She wasn't comfortable, but she liked Payton's generosity towards her, and she was thankful the grouchy boy behind her was now ignoring them.

As the drowning lesson went on Adrian listened intently. Every so often she would feel for her phone in her pocket, even if her mother wasn't physically here, she could hear her voice in seconds if need be.

When her hand was free from taking notes, she would feel for the grooves and indented edges on the desktop. Her fingers traced the imperfections. She did this to ground herself because if she didn't her clammy hands would tremble.

In the middle of the class, she could feel a foot settle on the bottom bar of her chair. Her body stiffened and she didn't dare look back, she knew whose foot was there. It was Elliot, that handsome, very mean boy.

She wouldn't dare say anything about it to him, but it made her very uneasy. With his foot on her chair, she could no longer concentrate on the lesson. Shutters ran down her body as every so often his foot tapped, not to get her attention, but like an impatient kind of tap when you're annoyed or something.

Adrian's head raced with thoughts. She wanted space, she didn't want to be near all these people. She felt as though Elliot was invading her personal space, and that stressed her out. She didn't like it.

Her hands were under the desk running up and down her jeans. She picked at the small rips as she tried to control her unsteady breaths. She needed her mom right now, she needed her to tell her that everything was fine.