Chapter 3 - Shinsengumi

Sara pov:

Sara pov:

"Yukimura?" Hijikata san mumbled while narrowing his eyes at me. I have to admit, he did look a little intimidating now. "Your family name is Yukimura? Then, do you know Yukimura Koudo san?"

"No, I haven't heard of him," I answered, keeping my cool.

"It is possible for people to have common family names," Sannan san said as he adjusted his glasses, "but the fact that you fought off those Rasetsu is something I find suspicious. They are not ones that can be easily confronted even by men of the Shinsengumi, after all. Are you really a doctor or are you hiding your true identity?"

I looked to the side with an amused huff before meeting Sannan san's eyes which reflected challenge, "Look, just because I'm a doctor and a girl, it doesn't mean I have to be weak. I'm quite well trained in Kenjutsu and Taijutsu...although, I've always practiced with a wooden katana. I didn't know it would be so taxing to use a real weapon."

"Yare yare, so we've landed ourselves with a rather dangerous guest, haven't we?" Souji san said with a laugh. The atmosphere in the room instantly got dark.

"I guess so...but Kondo san is obviously not going to let any of us hurt her – all we can do is lock her up," the guy sitting next to me said. I looked at him in disbelief. Surely they wouldn't lock me up like a prisoner, would they?

"We can't do that, Shinpachi," Kondo san responded, crossing his arms over his chest while sighing deeply. "She's just a civilian who got mixed up with the Rasetsu yesterday...I'm sure it wasn't a pleasant experience for her."

"Well, we can't leave the matter just like this either," stated Harada san, "because civilians are not supposed to know about the Rasetsu. And no normal civilian can have fighting skills as good as her."

"What are Rasetsu?" I interrupted and all eyes were on me again.

"O-oh, the Rasetsu? Um, they're um, you see, the Shinsengumi is-"

"That's not something you need to know about," my escort interrupted a flustered Kondo san in a flat tone as he sat with his eyes closed, "and it would be wise for you to not ask about it again either."

"That's right, and we can't just let you leave after everything you saw," Hijikata san said next.

"I won't tell anyone about what I saw, if that's what you're worried about."

"She said she's a doctor, right? Why don't we have her stay in the Shinsengumi as our doctor?" This time, it was a younger captain who spoke. He looked to be the same age as the girl. He had long brown hair that was tied in a high ponytail and his eyes were blue-green. So even kids in this time period were bold enough to kill?

"I suppose that is one thing we can consider – but having a woman in an all-men camp doesn't sound all that good," Harada san said. "Isn't that why we had Chizuru chan stay dressed as a man?"