Chapter 9 - Complications

Just a cute pic before we begin the chapter X3

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sara pov:

The room was tense and silent for a few minutes after I had announced that I was a person from the future. I looked between everyone carefully as their expressions turned to confusion, disbelief and finally scorn. I clenched my fists tightly on my knees while maintaining my straight posture despite the overwhelming desire to shrivel up under the pressure. I waited on pins and needles for someone, anyone to speak up and break the tense silence.

"You are from...the future?" Harada san was the first to speak, the disbelief quite apparent in his voice as he stared at me dead in the eyes. Surprisingly, he didn't look angry but irked.

"Do we really look like a bunch of idiots to believe that, princess?" Okita san asked, his eyes narrowing and his smirk turning menacing.

"Well, you said you wanted the truth so I'm telling you the truth. I am from the future...perhaps about two hundred years from now. I'm from the year 2020 and from Tokyo City which is the modern name of Edo and the Capital of Japan," I explained. "I work as a cardiothoracic surgeon in a famous hospital there, though I also know general surgery. I'm the youngest surgeon to be practicing since most doctors are close to thirty years old when they begin their career after school, college, medical school and specialization."

"Cadiotho...what is that??" Heisuke questioned.

"It's cardiothoracic – it means I specialize in treatment of the chest area including the lungs and the heart."

"You sure know how to make up a fantasy story," stated Sannan san. He adjusted his glasses without blinking or taking his eyes off me.

"Look," I said with an exasperated sigh this time, "I'm not making this up, okay? I really am from the future and I honestly have no idea how I turned up here. I mean, just think about it – you guys found me in the middle of nowhere wearing clothes that aren't commonly worn by women of this time period and I'm a doctor who's done several surgeries – that is, cutting open people's bodies to fix what's not working properly – and you saw me do one right in front of your eyes with necessary precision. I should have been really famous all over Japan then, right? You said that too – the Shinsengumi surely would have heard of me if I was using unconventional methods of healing."

"She does have a point," said Heisuke. "Maybe she is telling us the truth."

"We can't believe something so far-fetched," Hijikata san retorted, his frown deepening. "What proof does she have that she is from the future, as she says, and not a spy trying to play tricks to mislead us?"

"Proof, huh?" I mumbled. "What if I told you that we've been able to travel to the moon? And we have really fast transport that can get us from here to Edo in less than a day? We have also built aircrafts that can fly in the air and can take us over the ocean to lands that you've never seen or heard of before."

"Are you for real?? You've been able to do all that?!" Nagakura san asked, his eyes wide in awe and surprise.

"Well, I haven't done all that because you have to undergo rigorous training to be fit enough to travel to the moon but I have traveled by air a couple of times for work. And travelling by fast transport on roads is very common. In fact, I had my own vehicle that I drove every day to and from the hospital where I worked."

"Woah! It would be so awesome to witness that sight!" he responded with a grin only to be made fun of by Harada san for his childlike amazement.

"I'm sure anyone can be as creative as you to fool others but it won't work with us," Saito san said. His voice was low and sharp and I felt uncomfortable under his stare. "But perhaps if you could show us something as proof, we might reconsider our decision of executing you."