chapter 7

The ballroom was decorated with the best of the fire nation decorations. Red and gold dominated the color pallet and refused to let any other color in. small batches of pink could be seen here and there, along with even smaller batches of black. Lights were lit in random places, making the gold shine brightly, lighting up the room more. Iroh walked in first with the royal family, leaving me to stand behind a big pillar as to not let myself show to the fire lord, his daughter, or his son's fiancé. I walked all the way around the hall and got in from the garden, I hated having all the attention for myself, something sure to happen if I walk in through the door. I set foot in the hall when the doors opened wide and revealed the royal family to the guests. A herald called each of their names as they walked into the hall, calling Zuko and Mai together. Mai, as usual, wore black. Her dress looked very good on her, but did not hide the fact that she did not wear any fire nation color. Zuko, on the other hand, managed to wear both fire nation colors and complement Mai. He wore a black suit, with a matte gold vest and a red tie. Azula wore a red dress with golden accents. The dress was very tight, and revealed every curve she had, the golden accents were focused her torso and the edge of her skirt. When she raised the edge of her skirt to walk down the few stairs, she revealed golden stilettoes. Both Azula and Mai's hairs were put up in buns, Mai's was bigger, as her hair was longer. The fire lord himself wore traditional fire nation robes, just like Iroh. He was younger than Iroh, his older brother. While Iroh's hair was mostly white, or gray, and missing at the top, the fire lord's hair was still raven black and full.

"Welcome, all, to the engagement party of my son, fire prince Zuko, and lady Mai of the fire nation. May their union be a good one and produce good offsprings, both beautiful and smart!"

The crowd cheered and the celebration started. Mai abandoned Zuko to go with Azula to look for their third friend, Ty-Lee. Iroh spotted my blue dress and hurried to me, Zuko followed.

"wow, Kya, you look great, the dress really suits you"

I bowed to them.

"thank you, fire prince Zuko.

He smiled and offered his hand again.

"may I have this dance?"

I nodded in agreement and we went into the dance floor. We danced and swirled around the dance floor as more and more people watched. It was a good thing for me to practice my ballroom dancing on the way here, I thought as I slid across the floor with Zuko. Soon, Mai, Azula, and Ty-Lee looked at us as well, they did not seem to recognize me. The dance was over, it was too soon. Zuko led me away from the dance floor and thanked me for the dance before going off to find Mai. I looked at Iroh and sighed.

"was it good?"

"the best, but it ended too soon, which sucks. I saw Mai, she seems absolutely furious"

Iroh laughed wholeheartedly. The people near us looked at him and whispered.

"good, she needs to be raffled a bit, maybe that will make her realize that Zuko does not belong to her"

The smile disappeared from my face; a confused look replaced it.

"she thinks she owns Zuko?"

"I don't know for sure, but she acts like it"

I looked back at the direction Zuko went to, I could see a pink dress walking towards me through the sea of black and red. Soon Ty-Lee, Azula and Mai stood in front of me and Iroh, with Zuko standing by Mai.

"well, look, ladies, it's a water tribe trash"

Mai and Ty-Lee laughed wickedly. I stayed put and put on a smile on my face, inside I rolled my eyes and put my hands on my hips.