I

EPISODE I
GRANGE

THE HILLTOP WAS prominent compared to the flatlands of Grange. The crops captured more sunlight and flourished, the breeze was light yet refreshing. The scenery served as a reminder of stability and balance within the force. In a galaxy stained with blood and immersed in chaos, there were periods of peace within the Force that went unnoticed and undisturbed by a familiar evil presence.

She took advantage of this opportunity. The hilltop's peak revealed a meditating-and levitating-Ezra. Eyes closed, lips parted, breath steady, she was one of the many souls across the galaxy searching for a sign.

A sign of hope.

Alas, Ezra let out an agitated sigh, becoming increasingly impatient with the Force. She knew that the longer she stayed on the hilltop, the longer she would turn her back on danger. Eventually, there would be a problem. This was not the way anymore, no longer could her kind meditate freely. No longer could her kind risk room for mistakes. No longer could her kind be noticed, seen, inspected. No longer could she stay around for too long. These negative thoughts that clouded Ezra's mind were enough to emerge cracks on the surface of her plateau. Taken aback at her actions, Ezra had landed on the hard ground, wasting no time gathering her bearings before leaving the sacred area.

'Well isn't that great' Ezra swore under her breath over her loss of control. She descended from the high ground, occasionally glancing at the sky. Not too far from her position was the outskirts of the town of Yinvah, a relatively large area occupied by travelers. Grange was more of a Pitstop planet. The soil is rich allowing crops to thrive. In return, travelers exchange whatever they have for food or materials. Ezra stopped in her tracks when she caught sight of the familiar white helmets

'When did they get here!' 'Who are they looking for?' All at once, a million thoughts ran throughout her mind, exposing her in a state of panic and vulnerability. 'Did they see me?'. 'Running would make them suspicious, yet staying here wouldn't give me much cover' Ezra swiftly made her away alongside a wooden wagon, carefully strategizing her next move. She had been into hiding for years, she won't let a couple of Stormtroopers blow her cover now.

But it wasn't just a couple of Stormtroopers, it was a whole squadron. Ezra had figured out by now that they were looking for someone, and when they would eventually fail to find them before another squadron does, it would be onto the next planet. 'At least it's not an Inquisitor, they are a whole different problem.' Ezra recovered a brown hooded poncho that was left carelessly on the side of the wagon and used it to conceal her identity. The Empire may not be looking for her specifically, however, they wouldn't just let her go if she was questioned. She would only defend herself if she needed to, and she wasn't the type to draw attention to herself.

'So much for a shortcut' Ezra took a long way around town through the cave system. There she encountered fellow citizens, warning them of the Trooper's presence, "They don't seem hostile, are they here for protection?" Ty, one of Ezra's few contacts remarked. "Don't be daft, they're waiting for whoever they're looking for to stumble on Grange for supplies," Ezra replied, keeping her voice low, "besides, what fugitive important to the Empire would be dumb enough to land here? It's an easy target, so just keep your head low, behave for once, and they'll leave." "No promises" he smirked, chuckling as they both headed deeper in the caves.

Deep inside one of the many mountains of Grange, a cave system was built between the thick and hardened rock that it would mask the existence on the radar as advanced as the Empire. In the middle of it, it was like another town. Those who didn't own shacks or cabins outside had residence within the mountain. The sculpted walls of hollow rock had admixed an iridescent aesthetic to the cavern. Their gleam intensified whenever the torches were put out, it was almost like 'watching the galaxy as you sleep', but that's how Ezra once described it.

Ty and Ezra parted ways as they both made it to their respective bunks of the cavern. Ezra stored her newly founded poncho as well as 6 ration bags she had exchanged for some firewood. She flung her weight on the cushion, reaching underneath her bunk for reassurance. Once she felt the cool material graze the tip of her fingers, Ezra then patiently waiting for the comfort of sleep to send her into an alternate reality. A reality where she could finally be free.

- - - -

Author's note: thank you for taking the time to read this story, no Cal yet but I promise he will come. I want to establish Ezra as a character before her encounter with the Mantis crew (let's just say things will get interesting). I'll be updating soon! (Leaving a comment boots my motivation as well)