III

EPISODE III
A WARNING

CAL KESTIS URGENTLY made his way into the town of Yinvah in search of supplies. After narrowly escaping the empire-not to mention lord Vader himself-the crew spent a few weeks living off the grid in space. Eventually, they were going to run out of food, and as it is, the Mantis only had a few hyper jumps left until it would be out of fuel. But Cal had his own personal issues to attend to. He was still struggling to collect himself after the distressing events on Fortress Inquisitorious.

Meditation helped ease his thoughts, yet Cal couldn't shake the feeling of unease from his body. It surrounded him like an aura, similar to how he had felt during the early hours Order 66 was placed into effect. The nightmares returned shortly after, and ever since, he has been trapped in an endless cycle of events, repeatedly watching his late Jedi Master Jaro Tapal die in front of him.

He was only a child, merely a Padawan.

For a moment during his last battle with the Second Sister, Trilla, Cal Kestis had felt the same fear and unease in her as he had in himself as a Padawan. Cal wanted to help save Trilla and connect with her. It angered him, reliving the tragedy that she went through when he touched her saber. It was a weight that no child should have to bear, yet despite their differences, the two of them had carried the same weight. Fear, betrayal, and paranoia were a few of the many emotions he had to live with for the five years living-no, surviving-as an innocent target in the eyes of the Empire.

Trilla did not freeze because of Cal. She froze because of him.

He was a symbol of order, feared across the galaxy. Hardly anyone dared to speak his name. His entourage never failed to strike panic and freeze the hearts of those cursed with his presence. Ever since Cal's encounter with Darth Vader, it is needless to say he hasn't been the same since. He flinches often, and when he does, it is now instinct for him to clutch his saber that rests on the side of his hip. Cere has tried to talk to him, but there is only so much that she could do for him to change. Merrin has offered to use her magick on him as a form of healing, but he wasn't hurt.

He was damaged, not hurt.

Cal's force senses have were heightened, and lately, sleeping has been a chore for him. But he had to remain strong for his new family, the Mantis crew. He couldn't abandon them, and quite frankly, Cal has found some peace with his friends.

"beep boop, beep," the droid stated from Cal's upper back. If Cal was honest, he forgot about BD-1's presence for a moment, "I agree BD. It's a wonderful planet."

The droid remained quiet while Cal squeezed his way through the crowd. He followed the directions of a civilian who instructed him that the food would be farther down the market, past the blacksmiths. He made his way to one of the open tents that had a smaller line. At this point, he didn't care what he bought, as long as it was edible. He just wanted to get off Grange as fast as he could. He could sense unease in the Force, as if something was going to happen.

A warning, perhaps.

"How much can I get for fifty credits?" Cal questioned. The Gabdorian vendor reached under the table with a grunt and placed ten bread portions, a pile of seeds that Cal assumed he could grow, and four meiloorun fruits. 'It won't be enough' Cal furrowed his eyebrows, and let out a long sigh.

The vendor spoke up, "The droid..." Cal quickly declined, "no, he isn't for sale" he was losing patience by the second. Then, an idea struck him. He could get what he wanted and more, but it would mean taking advantage of the Force for his own benefit. It would be going against the Jedi code.

Cal sympathized for the vendor, who was probably in a rougher situation than he was. 'well, I wouldn't be stealing. I am paying him...but...who am I kidding?' There was no time to think of another plan, and he needed to get back to the Mantis quickly. Cal glanced around, making sure that there was no one paying attention to them.

'Forgive me, Master Tarpal'

"I will give you fifty credits for triple the rations, double the seeds, and double the fruit." Cal never broke eye contact with the Vendor, who mindlessly replied, "I will give it all to you, for fifty credits." While he was putting all of the food into a sack, Cal reflected on what he had done, trying to forget the crime he had just committed. He needed this, and his friends needed this.

Cal transferred the credits and took the sack without saying anything more. He kept his head low, and his grey poncho hood on. It was almost entirely dark, and he still had a ways to go to the Mantis.

The flow of the market came to a pause, and citizens were being funneled into the center of town. From the corner of his eye, Cal could see the familiar white helmets, blasters aimed at the crowd. 'Troopers, I should've known landing here was too much of a risk..' BD-1 snuck into the pocket of Cal's poncho, doing his best to be still and silent.

Cal grew worried for the Mantis, knowing that they could very well be under attack at any given moment. He was yet again faced with another decision, and time was quickly running out. He was sure they were looking for him, why else would the Troopers be stationed on the peaceful planet of Grange? Cal was still trying to consider all of his options, yet all of the scenarios ended up with innocents getting hurt. 'They're occupied. Maybe I could sneak my way past them'. But it was too late. Within seconds, every alley exit was covered from all directions, and the civilians were being forced into the square of Yinvah. An Imperial ship hovered above their heads. Panic erupted, and those in the crowd fear-stricken for their lives scattered like ants trying to find a way out.

"Cal Kestis, surrender now or witness hundreds slaughtered at your feet." A voice boomed and echoed against the walls that enclosed the town. From above, the Ninth Sister dropped, the impact of her weight shook the surface of the planet. A shocked Cal Kestis drew his breath 'I thought I defeated her'' the crowd fell into silence. A smirk appeared upon the Ninth Sister's face.

"Very well, let the slaughter begin."