VII

EPISODE VII
CALL OF THE PAST

THE WOOKIE ENVELOPED Ezra in a warm embrace. His fur provided temporary warmth to whoever was lucky enough to earn the trust of a Wookie. Chewy, in particular, groomed his fur to be as soft as a blanket; it was true what anyone said about Wookie hugs. 'No wonder Maz liked Chewbacca, she might even get him to become her boyfriend one day.' Ezra pondered at the silly thought while she pulled from his embrace.

"Yeah, I missed you too Chewy." The Wookie roared, and Han Solo grinned.

"Why the Outer Rim? I thought you were doing fine on your own in the Rocantor sector." Han questioned. Although he was thrilled to see Ezra, something about her presence was off to him. The pilot figured that the Empire was on her tail again. Nevertheless, he was always skilled at masking his worry about situations he would yet know the outcome of. He figured that whatever he said would get done unless it wouldn't. Until then, why worry about things that haven't yet happened?

"it's complicated" Ezra started, finding it difficult to form the right words for a situation as dangerous and desperate she had regretfully absorbed herself in. She was looking for a way out and leaving the Mantis crew to go with Han was an opportunity to lay low. Hopefully, the Empire would be occupied other than focusing on one Force-sensitive.

"Funny, that's what every woman says to me." The young smuggler chuckled, raising an eyebrow. It was an instinct for him to make light of every grim situation, he indeed had a way with words in order to earn his way. Han Solo was called many things across the galaxy, an introvert was never one of them.

"Why don't you take one from Maz's book? No questions asked, captain. Besides, the less you know, the better," Ezra took a swig from Han's drink while avoiding eye contact with him, "how much for the trip?" Han thought for a moment, debating if he was going to assist her situation in a personal or professional matter.

"I figure I could make an exception, Ezra." He tucked a loose strand of dark hair behind her ear. If she wasn't so stressed about having an Inquisitor on her tail, she would've smiled at his gesture. For now, she remained unamused.

"Now, why don't you tell me why you're running." Han retracted his finger and gave her a look of concern-which was odd for Han to do-and kept his eyes tracked on the girl. He was accustomed to her secretive and incognito nature, which is perhaps what kept him so intrigued and invested in her. There was something about Ezra so unlikeable to everyone that he loved being around her.

"Grange got besieged, Han. I'm on Imperial radar now." She locked eyes with him for the second time tonight, pursing her lips. The best reaction that Han could muster out was hardly any reaction at all. He kept a straight face; what seemed like hours of silence was only ten seconds before chewy interrupted the pair.

"Rawrrr!" His furry companion yelled, slowly capturing the attention of the two fugitives that sat beside one another.

"He's right, I'm probably more of a wanted man than you." Han reached for his drink, which Ezra snatched from the table before he could. What was charming about Han Solo could also be very annoying and irksome at times; he didn't know when to be serious.

"Han, if I stay here too long they'll kill me." His smile slowly dwindled away. Han ran his fingers through his hair while an audible exhale escaped his lips. His gaze adverted over at Chewy for any possible ideas the Wookie could have.

For the first time in a long while, Han Solo felt unbelievably stressed. He was eager to personally help her out, yet he didn't know how without knowing the full story, which would be impossible. He figured that she concealed the events of her encounter with the Empire for the sake of his and Chewy's safety. The thought of that made him chuckle, questioning how she could keep him any safer from the trouble he has mixed himself in prior.