Chapter 8: Things Are Definitely NOT Okay

*time skip, 2 months to August 6th, 2020*
Jane's PoV:
     Boy, who knew being Headmistress required so much work. I now understood why my mother had been kept so busy during the school year. But, I didn't regret my decision to take over one bit. I was already enjoying the busy schedule and the responsibilities that I now had. It made me feel alive, important, and much more like myself than I had ever felt in school.
      On the downside, my busy schedule meant that I had less time to spend with Carlos. We were so incredibly happy and he was even starting his own business. It was a good combination, even if we didn't have much time to spend together. It was only temporary after all, I'm sure things would settle down soon and we would fall into a happy routine.
     With the start of the semester fast approaching, I was making final preparations to welcome the new VKs from the Isle. I had talked to Mal about giving a speech but then she had announced her pregnancy and I hadn't heard back from her. So, I decided to pay her a visit at the castle.
      Her mood had been odd recently, but we chalked that up to her pregnancy. But, I figured today would be a good day to see her. With my arms full of folders, I made my up to her office. Being who I was, I didn't need Lumiere to escort me up. I had an open invitation to come to Mal's office. I approached what I saw to be an open door and I could hear her furiously typing away on her laptop. She must be SUPER busy.
        I knocked on her door as I stood at the entranceway. She slammed the laptop shut. Okay, that was weird. She was certainly surprised to see me. "Hey Mal. Doing alright?" I asked in my normal chipper voice. She seemed a bit put off by my chipper attitude, but again I chalked that to her pregnancy. "Can I help you?" Boy, she was not in a good mood. I'd better keep this short.
      "Listen, I know it's been a while but are you still going to make that speech for me?" She seemed confused and slightly annoyed at my question.
    "Uhhhhh what speech are you talking about?" Boy, this pregnancy must have really been screwing with her memory. "You've got to remember this Mal, the speech to the new VKs and all of the other students, to start the new term. You said you would be happy to give the speech to help settle nerves among the new children choosing to attend Auradon Prep." This certainly should have jogged her memory but again, she appeared to draw a blank.
     "I'm still drawing a blank. I don't remember you asking about that speech. It probably is just this pregnancy brain forgetting things. Regardless, I'll give a speech to the students." I beamed with pride. I had the commitment from Mal, one that I needed.
     "Thanks Mal! I really appreciate it. I gotta go and attend to other things. Don't forget about tea time in the conservatory later today." I gave her a smile and a wave as I ducked out of the office. After all, I did have other business to attend to. The job of a Headmistress was never done and never ending.
      A couple hours later, I was gathered with Lonnie, Audrey, Belle, and Evie for our afternoon tea. Even Uma was present, which was a nice change. The only person missing was Mal.... I had even made sure to remind her but clearly she had forgotten. Or, she just wasn't feeling well and had decided to skip. I looked at Evie to see if she had heard from her, but a shake of the head told me all I needed to know.
       The big topic of conversation of course the upcoming wedding of Harry and Audrey. Audrey announced that they had finally settled on a date of December 31st, New Years Eve. It was quite exciting to have another wedding to plan for. Of course, this also brought up questions in our little group. And it was Audrey who asked it.
     "So Jane, Lonnie. Are we going to hear any wedding bells for the two of you shortly? You are the only two couples not engaged yet." Myself and Lonnie just looked at each. I know I hadn't put much thought into it, but I wasn't sure what Lonnie's opinion on the subject matter was. I personally wanted it to happen naturally. Yes, I was a tad restless, but I didn't want to rush things either. Lonnie responded first to Audrey.
      "Listen Audrey, Jay is an idiot. My lovable idiot, but an idiot nonetheless. It's gonna take him awhile." I stifled a giggle. I was kinda thinking along the same lines about Carlos. "Carlos is a little slow sometimes. He'll figure out that I want all of that. Eventually. " This elicited a laugh from the table before Evie chimed in.
     "Listen, those two are my brothers. I think I would know if they were about to propose..." Myself and Lonnie looked at each other again and simultaneously shouted. "WELL, DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING??" Lonnie jumped from her chair and slammed a hand down on the table. "Tell us everything you know Evie!" Of course, Evie was unphased. Besides Belle, she was considered the mom of the group, maybe because she was older...but not older than Belle obviously.
      "Girls listen, I have a 7 month old infant I'm taking care of, I don't know a god damn thing. Now, would you both kindly sit back down before I make you?" Lonnie returned to her seat and there was no more talk of engagements that day. The rest of the tea was spent talking about Audrey's wedding and upcoming royal birth.
      Of course, that topic would have been easier to discuss if Mal was present.....