Chapter 10

Edited with Grammarly: 4/30/2020

I avoid Markus for the rest of the day, which isn't hard since the only time I see him at school is lunch. After that, it's either at work or in the forest. The Full Moon is coming up in the next few days, but no, that doesn't mean we turn into raving beasts that are crazed for human flesh, that's just a myth.

It does mean that all wolves will be kept home from school though since humans are superstitious for one, and Werewolves do get a bit moody on those days. We're prone to change because of it, but you can more or less picture it as a puberty type thing, just for the whole species, not just those under a certain age. Getting upset at your boss and turning into a wolf right there in the office was viewed as a bad thing, so was just easier to have most people stay home.

I've heard that the Royal bloodlines can control theirs so well that they don't have to worry about it, but then there are other stories that say the complete opposite so there's really no telling.

Mrs. Bangle has already given me the okay about those nights, and since her granddaughter was supposed to come back in today, she should have the help she needs. While being a crotchety old woman, she's really smart and doesn't take shit from anybody, and I've grown fond of her. I have grandparents, but they don't act as such towards me as they do my siblings. My grandmother seemed to try there for a while, but then it just kinda...wore off I guess.

Just to make sure I don't see him, I run from school grounds to the bookstore, leaping the various thrust out legs sent out to trip me. Quite childish, but instead of avoiding them, I purposefully weave among them, working on my agility and timing. Wonder if they'll ever pick up on that fact.

A little winded when I reach the doorway, my lungs still remembering their explosive exhale earlier today has them a bit touchy. Rolling my eyes, I go in, smiling as the chime announces me. There are a couple of people already inside, so I make my way to the rooms in the back of the store that make up the private areas of the place.

Stashing my bag inside, I step back out. If the day is slow I get a chance to work on homework, but usually, I try to keep it separate from here. A customer at the front counter is met by someone else before I can get there, someone I don't know but they seem to know their way around the register and everything else just fine, which says something since the old woman has a weird system in place.

This must be Marie then, the granddaughter. Seeing her now, she does look vaguely familiar. After the person leaves, I make my way closer, smile in place. She's watching me curiously, so this should hopefully go well.

"Marie?"

"Wynter?"

When we both nod, there's a bit of a tension there that's broken, and I can see her shoulders relax a little.

"The old bat said you'd be along after school. I cut out early since she had to go pick up some new inventory."

Her blue eyes roll while both hands go into her auburn hair, ruffling at it like mad. It looks like a common gesture and has me smiling even more.

"Keep telling the woman she'd get more traffic through here if she updated the place, got more current day shit like comics and gamer mags, but does she listen to me? Of course not, she goes and buys more colored cardboard."

I laugh at her frustration, but I can see where she's coming from in a business point of view. The world's changing, you either change with it or get left behind. Even books now or steadily being pushed out by those Kindles and Notebooks. They'll never have that book smell though, so they'll never have my interest.

"She does seem caught up in her ways, but she really did miss you. She never said it, but I could see it when she would talk about you. I probably shouldn't tell you this, but did you know she plans on leaving it to you? The store I mean?"

Love flows over the girl's face before annoyance does.

"I do, she's already told me and has threatened that she will haunt me from the grave if I so much as ruin the name of it, but that cranky old biddy is going to live forever, dammit."

Think I hit on a sore nerve there, judging by the emotions flying over her face, but before I can come up with something to either apologize for or change the subject to, she does it for me, perking up almost instantly.

"Wait, you're a Werewolf, aren't you?"

Her switching from down and dumpy to fairly bouncing in place threatens to give me whiplash as I try to keep up, nodding my head. Her squee of happiness has my eye twitching, but I can't help but give a confused lopsided grin when she does this weird little happy dance. She's only a couple inches taller than me, but her enthusiasm radiates from her like someone twice her size.

Looking one way then the other, Marie moves us from the front counter over to the reading nook. The counter is unattended, which the old woman will have a cow over, but with the bell above the door, no one is sneaking in. I slip off my shoes before I get on the couch, bringing up my legs and folding them in front of me as she sits near, eyeballing me as if under a microscope.

I fidget, uncomfortable, and she notices, blushing. Mimicking my position and sitting in front of me, she holds out her hand for a handshake. I take it, still confused and a little nervous.

"My name is Marie Donalds. I consider myself both a bookworm and a gamer, although I haven't done much lately. We go to the same school, I think we share a couple of classes, and I would be honored to be your friend."

She shakes my hand firmly while I just stare at her, dumbfounded. Looking over her features, she does look a little pale. Her grandmother had said she was sick and it's been at least two weeks. Cheeks are a little sunken in, but with her seemingly sunny disposition, she should pick up in no time.

While I'm thrilled by her...abrupt, yet delightful proposition, I pull my hand away slowly, regretfully.

"Don't get me wrong Marie, I would very much like to have you as a friend, you seem very fun and exciting to be around, but I'm sure you've heard the things going around the school by now. I'd hate for you to look at me as if I deceived you in some way."

Her blue eyes turn confused and I sigh. She shakes her head, shaking her hands.

"I've heard stuff, there's always something going around about someone. To be honest... I already knew, but I honestly don't get what the issue is. You look the same as everyone else to me."

My outburst of laughter has her looking hurt, and it's my hands shaking this time, even going so far as touching her arm.

"You're only one in now three people who see it that way, and believe me, that's precious to me, so don't ever think I'm making fun of what you're saying."

Marie lightens instantly, then looks sad again.

"Only three? Why? What is so different about you from everyone else?"

"I'm a Runt."

She flutter blinks at me before scowling.

"Like the smallest of a litter type deal?"

Nodding, she makes an 'O' face and nods, as if it's something really interesting. Looking me over again, she shakes her head.

"I still don't see it. You're just as pretty as they all are."

Her cheeks tint pink a little, but she doesn't retract her statement. Blushing myself, I'm a little lost for words. I don't think anyone's ever called me pretty, I'm not sure what to do with it.