Chapter 14

Edited with Grammarly: 5/3/2020

The rest of the day I managed to get off relatively scott-free. Everyone's so caught up in the new student, Faust, that I'm yesterday's news. Which is just perfect with me. Even Kalista got caught up in the whirlwind that is 'The New Guy'.

No one knows where he's from or who he is aside from his name. Faust Nightsbane. Definitely a wolf name, but not one I've ever heard. But then it's not like I hear of too many anyway. It's enough to have the rumor mill on psycho-speed though.

I don't even have to worry about dodging my sister since she has a new bone to chew on. I just hope that really doesn't turn into a literal sense, talk about awkward. And all sorts of gross.

Marie and I take the time to actually walk to the bookstore today instead of running. I don't mind running, I love to actually, but Marie likes to talk and can't seem to do both at the same time.

"So who do you think he is?"

Shrugging, I hike up the heavy bag more securely onto my shoulder.

"Probably a troublemaker that was kicked out by what I've seen so far. Wouldn't be surprised at least."

She frowns, chewing at her lip.

"What about Markus?"

"What about him?"

Looking over, I keep my grin to myself. She's sweet on that wolf and it's positively adorable.

"He seemed...I don't know, distracted after he saw Faust at lunch today. Almost as if he knew him or something. Didn't you notice it?"

I noticed something, but not familiarity. Peering at the girl next to me, she'd know, she watches him enough. Did he react is if he knew the guy? Maybe. It was pretty obvious he didn't like him at least.

Shrugging once more, I poke my elbow at her, crooked grin slipping into place.

"Maybe it was just the shock of losing all his raunchy fangirls? Could have been surprise, right? I wonder if he'll know what to do now."

Her eyes glitter in mischief before she laughs.

"I doubt that was it, but that does make you wonder what he'd do if they did stop hounding him, doesn't it?"

Shaking my head, I bounce on my feet, giddy with the approaching moon.

"Not me. I already know what he'd do. He'd run around the woods like a total idiot since no one's watching him, and end up with his head stuck in a tree."

Marie bursts out laughing while trying to be outraged at the same time. It doesn't seem to be working too well for her. Smiling, we jog the rest of the way, not like it's very far now anyway.

Bettie is already inside and sends Marie upstairs to do some restocking while I get to man the counter. Meanwhile, she slips into a backroom and does whatever old people do when ordering other people to do stuff. She's not the type to nap, but I wouldn't doubt it if she's going through heaps of paperwork that's pretty much pointless.

After stuffing my bag in the back, I take up my post, rearranging the items on the counter to keep me busy. The small bell dings a couple of times, a few people come and go. With everything going digital and Bettie not wanting to get with the times, the place isn't as busy as it once was back in the day.

Crouched down behind the table putting items in the display case, I don't see the next person walking in, but I hear them.

"Take a look around, let me know if you need anything."